1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger Neo 700/112 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, May 2, 2006.

1. I have done a search and can't find anything on this combo amp. Anyone know much about them? I am seriously considering getting one cause the specs look perfect for me, and my local dealer will give me a better deal with a trade-in. Its basically a GK 700 head stuck in a 112 neo cabinet:
    -320w to 12" speaker, 480w with another cab (@ 8ohms)
    -50 lbs.

The price is decent too, I think MF has them for $900 or so. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Hey Cardinal,
    I was just passing through and saw your thread. I own one of these combos - bought it in January. They are AWESOME!!

It's perfect for rehearsals and small gigs. With that biamp feature, that little box gets very loud!! With good useable front panel features.

Make sure you like the GK sound. It's hi-fi, not wooly tubes-a-blazin' vintage. It's modern sounding with a killer slap contour/presence tone.

I'm very surprised more players are not getting this amp.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice, I'm looking at picking one up for the smaller gigs myself. Eventually.

4. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've also been looking at the neo700/112 combo because of it's weight to sound ratio. It's lighter by 5 lbs than buying the seperate head and cab. I've been waiting to try the new line6 lowdown before making a decision on the GK.

5. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Yeah, it's got more high end and treble than any amp should legally have, and the woofer boost on the biamp section just makes it sound HUGE!

If you need a rehearsal amp (and your band is not EXCESSIVELY loud) this would be a good choice for you. If you're a jazz player, cocktail lounger, coffee house jammer, wedding reception crasher, etc -- this is your amp!! My first gig, I played with a jazz trio in a medium sized banquet room and it filled the whole room without even trying. It's a little bit mid-shy for my taste, but you can boost that on the EQ.

I have not tried the DI from the combo, but I'm sure it's just like any other GK RB series head.

6. Thanks for the recomendos guys. It definitely sounds more than adequate for a small gig, and with an additional cab (210, 410, triad, etc...etc...) I see no reason why it could not go bigger.

Basso: as far as it sounding "modern", well that's a thumbs-up for me! I find that kind of sound to be more versatile anyway, which I need cause I play with groups here and there that are worlds apart from each other: Hard-rock, bluegrass, reggae...anything but "Nu" country!! (love the old/trad stuff though)....Anyway, if I ever want a vintage-tube tone, I could always get a pedal that simulates it (SansAmp BDI or something), but I doubt I'd bother. Thanks again guys!

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have this rig in its components: 700RB-II and Neo 112. I've commented on it several times, so a search might find some of those earlier reviews. But Basso Gruvitas (awesome name) basically gets it. It is a fairly bright hi-fi rig with all set flat and some tweeter dialed in, but it provides tight, deep, hard-hitting lows, and can sound warm with the right instrument and EQ settings. If you get one, just know that the tone will warm up considerably as it breaks in; it sounded almost brittle at first.

I've played a few club rock shows with this rig, and it's just incredible for its size. At my first gig with my new band, my bandmates started laughing at the volume when I powered up, and it wasn't even at halfway. I almost never need my 4x10 anymore, and at my last gig I was the loudest instrument in the mix, based almost entirely on stage volume. The sound guy had me running direct, but I couldn't hear any of it in the monitors, and I can't hear anything but my stage rig in the recording. Same thing happend at my first gig with it, and the sound guy then said it sounded "massive." Indeed.

At my last show, a bassist in the audience asked me lots of questions about it, because she was blown away by the sound. She said she could hear "every nuance" of my playing. I explained that the Fralins in my J helped there, but fact remains it's a crystal clear rig.