Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger or Fender Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Okay, I've researched and asked questions about these two babies, and now I want your opinion.

I'm in the market for a new combo to keep me occupied (and to better equip me than my Crate BX-15) until I get enough money to buy the GK stack I want. I'm looking at either a Gallien-Krueger 400RB/210 Combo (240W) or a Fender Bassman 200 (200W). I've heard good things about both. I am a little confused about the GK, though. It says 240W at 4ohms and 150 at 8. How do I switch from 4ohms to 8ohms? Is there a switch or something?
    As always, all comments are appreciated, negative and positive.

EDIT: Also, the GK is priced at $749.99, the Bassman at $629.99. Would it be wise to spend $120 more on the GK?

2. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    no man...the gk head....say you had a 1x15 cab at 4 ohms and a 2x10 cab at 8 ohm ...you can run the 1x15 at 240w max...and the 2x10 at 150w...this is a real nice feature...go w/ the gk...so the imped. is not a switching thing ...man you can get the 800rb from musicians friend for 749.99....that 300w at 4ohms..and 200w at 8ohms...bi-amp is a sweet thing...thinking about getting a 800rb myself...tax return buddy

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    To clarify the ohms thing a bit:

The impedance of the internal speakers is 8Ohms.
    You have the option to add a second 8Ohm cab ('extension cab'), then the total load is 4Ohms.

This means that the amp puts out 150W if you use it alone and 240W if you add another cab.

Matthias

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, it will be 150 with an ohm speaker, and an additional 8 ohm speaker to run at 4ohms will give you 250 watts. I recommend the GK over the Fender. I like Fender, but the GK is far more versatile, and still doesn't completely emty your wallet! The GK 750RB is an outstanding head, that will give you over 450 watts at 4 ohms. Plus you can Bi-amp the unit, having your highs go into one cab, and lows into a sub(15" etc.). Cool stuff:)

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What would be WISE would be to buy something a heck of a lot cheaper (like used) since if you go spending $700+ on a combo, that's $700 less you have for the stack you said you REALLY want.

A used Peavey or Crate combo for about $200 would tide you over fine while you save yer pennies.

6. I'm a litte fearful of getting something used, though. I haven't played around with a lot of equipment, and the only time I do, is at Guitar Center. Where's a place I can get used gear without getting something that sounds crappier than my Crate BX15?
    Plus, I'm trying to look at 150W or above. Can you reall get a used 150W+ combo for around $200?

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    No, but you can get one for $250-$500.

Try:
    The Talkbass classifieds (Got my amp through TB)
    www.ebay.com (Got my bass through Ebay)
    www.bassgear.com (a good bass classifieds site)