Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger problem (NEED HELP!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konquest, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Last night I got to put the new 1001rbII through the paces with drums, guitar, keys, etc. Every time I put the volume loud enough to cut (about 12 o'clock on the input/gain, and 1-3 o'clock on the main/woofer) the blue power light turns to red and the speaker shuts off for 5 seconds. The GK owners manual states that this could be overheating or overcurrent. Well, the amp is cool to the touch. I am playing into an Aguilar gs212 4 ohm cab, so it should be able to really crank. What is the problem here? Is the amp defective or is something hooked up wrong. I am using a Warwick Dolphin w/active MEC 2 band electronics, so the -14dB pad is in, but when I switch the bass to passive mode and disengage the pad, it still goes red when medium/loud. BTW, everything is hooked up with planed waves cables and Omega speakon cable. Please help!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Kon, are you using 1 bottom at 4 ohms, If so that is fine. Two would be a no no. Did you try changing your power source? Did you plug into a strip with everybody else? That's not cool. At those settings the amp should work fine. Remove the speakon and try a regular speaker cable and see what happens.Does yor aggie have the same configuration at the speakon terminals as the GK?

3. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Plugged right into the wall outlet. It is a four ohm cab. I'll try to get a regular speaker cable today. Could this be a cab problem (the cab I bought used and the amp is brand new)?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If the bottom can take a speakon connecter and is bi-ampable (seperate tweeter) you must use a 4 connector speakon. And remember the configuration must be the same. Also test the cab to see what the present ohmage is using a digital multi meter. It may be the cab wiring that's the problem.

5. What is the effeciency rating of the speaker cab you are using? Are both the speakers in the cab working?
    At the settings mentioned you have your amp at, it should be deafening! Try playing your amp through a borrowed speaker and see how it sounds. I'm suspicious of the speaker cab, especially since it's second hand.
    I've got the lower powered GK700RB being used at 4 Ohms and I've never had to turn up more than 1 O'Clock on the master even at large gigs.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've never had a prob with my GK. it's a 2001 or 2000 model 1001RB. I run it usually through to Hartke 410's, and I have no problem. combined load is only 4 ohms. The think kicks. I've never had to put it above 12 o'clock. I have boost cranked, woofer at 12, and run a sansamp bass driver DI. Pad in. Never a problem. What's this soldering problem, and what models does it effect?

7. The soldering problem affected some units of both yours and my model amps but from what I've read lately, has been eliminated in the current series amps. There was a problem in that the front control pots, being soldered directly to the printed circuit boards were coming loose because of vibrations. If I remember correctly.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i see, I've never had a problem with that. hopefully I won't. But if I do, resoldering a control pot is easy. Had to do it to my old DOD distortion the other day.

9. I have not seen any soldiering problems at all with the mark II series heads. In fact, we've only had three heads with problems total to date. Each one was something unique. Try a different speaker cabinet. If the amp is still having problems with a different cabinet, Send me an email and let me know.

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Like others have said, plus some:

Power:
    Try it using a different leg of power in your house, or better yet, somewhere completely different from the place you are having the issues from.

Speaker cab:
    Try the standard 1/4 speaker cable and definately try playing it without any speaker connected at all to see if it is even speaker related. The amp wont put out power without a load on it, but its an easy test.
    If this is a "brand new to you" cab, see if it works for someone else, or haul it into guitar center when you get your speaker cable today. It might save to the money for the cable if the cab is bad. You might want to take the head in there too to do all of your tests. Test one piece at a time though to reduce confusion. If all works, go back home and continue these tests.

Bass: Try another bass on the cab, or turn down your volumes just to see if it makes any difference.

Cables: Besides the 4 conductor speaker cable that is needed, I doubt it is cable.

Cabs:
    Hookup: I am sure you know how to hook this up, but if you have a bunch of pedals, simplify things and just plug the bass into the input with no effect chains. If the problem stops, then work down your chain until it is resolved.

If after all of this, then you might have an issue with the amp. My 1001 is solid as a rock, and I run it at 4 ohm all the time. My volume is close to the same as yours, but I don't use any drive. I do use a sansamp and a compression pedal though.

Good luck,
    Wes

11. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I traded it in for an SWR, we'll see...

12. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    If you had read your manual you would know that you need to use the 1/4" ouputs with a non-GK full range cab.

13. The 4 conductor cable used with a non GK cabinet is fine as long as there is nothing wired to 2+ and 2- on the cabinet's speakon connector. You could also use a standard 2 conductor speakon cable.

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Are you using the speakon cable that came with the amp? Don't use that cable with the Aguilar cab. You need to use regular 2-connector speakon cables. The one supplied is a special 4-connector speakon for use with GK RBH cabs only.

The owner's manual does say you should plug non-RBH cabs into the 1/4" speaker outputs, but I have used the speakons with my two Aguilar 112 cabs with no problem.

Daniel, would you give us the definitive answer? Can you use the speakon outputs for regular operation, or should this be avoided?

If so, I need some new cables, as Aggies don't have 1/4" connectors.

15. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I use a 4 conductor speakon cable just like the one that came with my 1001/210 combo to power a subwoofer that only has the two conductor speaker receptical. It was the brand with the blue collar around it. In fact, the blue collar just broke on me...
    It works just fine because the other two condutors just aren't there. The aguilar connector might be different than my sub though.

16. Yes you can use a standard 2 conductor speakon cable with the GK amp and non GK cabinets. There is no problem with that.

17. What??? You traded in on another amp without first finding out what was causing the problem?
    If it was the speaker cab or a wiring problem causing the GK to revolt, then you are still going to have this problem with your new amp too!
    I think you should have perservered with the GK as they sound much better than SWR in my experience. :meh:

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Cool, and thanks Dan.

It's a bit ambiguous in the manual, and should be clearly stated. Just a suggestion for the next printing. :D