Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trussman, Dec 9, 2001.

1. trussman

trussman

Jun 16, 2001
    Alvin,Texas
    I just got a brand new G-K 400RB/210 and it is pretty straight forward in the manual on everything but the " input attenuator button" and the "clip light". Anybody know what these two things are? Other than that this a BAD A$$ rig. It sounds better than I thought it would.

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I don't know.

Anyways, please fill out your profile items, etc., so we can help you better when the time comes.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new gear!!!:)

3. trussman

trussman

Jun 16, 2001
    Alvin,Texas
    What profile is that?

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've oned a GK 400B, 400RB, 800RB, and 1001RB over the years. Still playing the 1001 & 800.

The attenuator switch lowers the input volume by 10db. It can be used to prevent overdriving the preamp if you have a bass with active onboard electronics with a hot signal. All my basses have active electronics, but I don't use this switch.

The clip light tells you if you're starting to overdrive the preamp. If it lights up full on, you'll probably start hearing some overdrive-type distortion.

5. I have a GK 700rb head, and the clip light is this little light that blinks when i have too much treble or slap the string too hard. Does your amp haev a -10Db switch on it? if you press that in it cuts the sound and u can jus turn it up to as loud as it was before and it wont clip and the light wont blink.

6. I'm not sure what the attenuator switch would do, although it may add or cut the signal to some degree?!?!
    The clip light generally lights up when you're going at it a bit too hard and starting to overdrive the amp.....

7. now i gotta question to add to it, does the clip light light up because your overdoing it wit the head, or the cabinet? if i got a different cabinet, would it change?

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Matt,

the clip light is for the preamp only. However, if you overdrive the preamp, the sound through your speakers will sound distorted.

Thus, a different cab would probably not make a difference.

9. thx man.