1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Hi, am just writing for some advice:help: on Gallien Krueger amps.:smug:

The thing is, I play in a loud death metal band :bassist: and I need an amp that has LOTS of power(volume),low end and punch (clarity) without the sound distorting at high levels if you know what I mean:mad:

So...:)I am looking to buy a GK 1001RB II bass head with an 8 ohm GK 410 RBX, I know that with 8 ohms I will only get about 350 to 400 watts with the head but some day I will get a 8 ohm 1 x 15 cab so I can get the full power(to make it up to the 4 ohms).

My question is, with the set up of the GK 1001 RB II and the GK 410 RBX will this rig satisfy my needs???:hyper:

Thanks again!!

Jack:smug:

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I know your asking about GK here, but you've just described the Aguilar DB750 to a T.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    GK amps are great for all of your needs. I don't know if one 410 will do it all for you, but I would definitely suggest you try that rig out at your local Guitar store and go for that. Leave the contour knob all the way to the left and put the rest of the tone knobs flat and see what you get.

I don't have experience with that GK cab.

4. 1001rb II 460 watts @ 8 ohms, 700 watts @ 4 ohms. Lots of power in that G-K, keep in mind they recommend a dedicated 20 amp circuit for power. Gives you an idea of the reserve from the power supply in the amp?

Now to go to the Agie posts and talk about G-K:hyper:;) Not really.

5. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    If the OP had just asked for lots of power, I would have said GK. But when he's asking for LOTS of power, the clear choice is A&&!E.:)

6. Okay that does it I'm going to spam the Aggie posts now
    :D :cool:

7. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I'll save a seat for you.:p

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hmm, to me the clear choice is a Carvin B1500, especially given the clean / lack of distortion the op is asking for ... ;)

Sorry for even further derailing a derailed topic!

Liam

9. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007

10. I think that for the style of music you play and for the power requirements you have the GK head would be perfect. You will never run out of power with that head.

Regarding cabs, by all means try out the GK cabs. I have a 4x10 SBX cab which I like but I don't use all that much power as you do. I've paired it up with a 2x10 RBX cab and I have as much volume as I ever need. My feeling is that you will need two cabs with the GK head.

I've always felt that I'd rather have 2 cabs both at 8 ohm than a single 4x10 at 4 ohm. There is something about having more speakers

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Great head and plenty of power....you're probably going to need more cab though. Think about a 6X10, 4X12 or two 4X10s. I play my RB1001-II through an SWR Goliath Sr. (6X10) and I get ALL the volume I'll ever need (enough to piss off two guitarists).

12. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    i have a gk 1001rb head and run it through an eden d410xlt i picked up second hand. Those cabs are very expensive over here anyway, but the punchy sound from the 10's is brilliant, very clear and doesn't distort. I have the 4 ohm version so i'm running 700watts. I play in a cover band, we have our own pa we play through, but at gigs to 600-900 people i would only need a third of the volume to hear myself and be felt onstage. Brilliant speaker cabinet!!

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

+1... when wanting to increase volume - which by the sounds of it, you'll need plenty - there is no substitute for adding speakers, IME... I don't think a single 410 will do it for you, nor will adding a 115 make enough of a difference - a 2nd 410 oughta do it nicely, though - without being too rough on any of your gear...

- georgestrings

14. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Ok guys thanks very much for ur help:bassist:

I think i ll get the GK 1001RB II and i ll see about getting a 6 x 10 cab 4ohm

15. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1
    I ran a G.K. 800, (300 watts at 4 ohms), for years with "very" loud bands on large stages into a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT 8x10. Never had a problem with being heard!
    The secret is to have the correct ohm cab and enough speakers for the wattage to work through.

16. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Does anyone have any experience with the Gallien Krueger 4x10 RBX-II cab at 8 ohms???

This is the cab that I an goin to invest in first I think then later I will save up for a 2x10 I think to make up the 4ohms.

17. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i am not a 10's fan, i prefer 12's and 15's, but the g-k has plenty of push for whatever you are doing,
    i used one svt @ 300 Watts in huge venues competing with and being heard over stacks of marshalls, fenders, and hiwatts

if it doesnt seem loud enuf it is the speakers not the amp, 300 Watts will make the clothes you are wearing move from twenty feet away,

if the speakers are not efficient enuf, then power becomes heat and not sound,
    go to higher efficiency speakers, if you dont know what this means, then go to the public library, and check out somethng about speakers, you dont need to understand what they say, just understand what to look for in the specifications

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

The problem with that plan is that your 210 will see the same wattage as your 410 - which can be rough on it, if you're pushing things... If you had a 2 ohm capable amp, a 4 ohm 410 and an 8 ohm 210 work quite well with one another...

In your situation, I'd still get a pair of 410s, or a 610...

- georgestrings

19. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    You would be better off with a 700 RBII and a 810 or a 610 than a 1001 RBII with a single 410.

My advice would be to find two 410 at 8 ohms, used, and pair them with whatever head that pumps out more than 300 watts. You'll (probably) be set for life, especially if you can go through the PA.

Resist to the temptation to mix and match cabs full-range since this is not usually a surefire way to increase volume while retaining clarity because of phasing issues*. Pick a cab and buy two of them. And as was said, be sure to have enough amps (A) in the circuit to tap the maximum power out of the head. A 3000 watts power machine with a limitied amperage supply (crappy bar wiring) that can only put out 300 watts will not sound any louder than a smaller 300 watts unit that can tap all of its available power.

* Unless you go stereo.

20. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Ok next question:confused:

The GK 1001 RB II pumps out 700 watts at 4 ohms and 340 watts at 8ohms,....now if I play the head through 1 GK RBX 410 cab, which is rated at 800watts at 8ohms, this means that i will get 340 watts going through a 800 watt rated cab and am I right that this is not good OR will it sound awesome ?????:confused:

Thanks again, Jack:hyper: