1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien Krueger RB400 or 400 III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capnjim, Apr 10, 2010.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So after many amps...I am going back to GK..I had an RB1001 which I loved and then got rid of. It was way too much power.
    I have a nice old 2x15 cab. I can get an older RB400 with a Backline 15" cab for 200$, or a newer RB400 III head only for 175$.
    I love the GK growl and play a jazz bass at medium volumes for classic rock and blues.
    Will the 400 keep up with a drummer using a 2x15? Or should I go for the 400 III for the extra power?
    Same basic price, but I get a free GK cab with the older 400.
    Any opinions would be most appreciated.
    I'm just worried the 400RB won't have any headroom.
    Cheers

2. I've heard the Backline stuff isn't that good, which would make since it is the budget line. I'd say go with the extra power. However, with a 215, you are probably going to be underpowering that cab with both amps.

3. I am confused do you mean 400rb? Is there a backline called a 400RB?
    If so I like the old school 400rb over the MKIII etc versions just because the knobs and switches seem sturdier.

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Sorry..I meant an older GK400RB. He won't sell just the head. I realise the backline cabs may not be the greatest, but my 2x15 cab has 2 4 ohm speakers to give an 8 ohm cab, I was thinking I could put one 4 ohm speaker in the backline cab and then would get the max power form the 400rb.

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    Get the older 400RB, hands down. The cab is a bonus, you can always just sell it if you would prefer something else.

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    +1
    Those old 80s gks rock. Theyre pretty loud for 200watts (I believe thats what theyre rated). I used one all the time at one of our practice spaces we rented out with a single 15 mesa cab and sometimes with another mesa 15 as well. Loud enough to cut through a drummer and a couple of guitarists at a practice space, playing hardcore punk none the less...