Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien-Krueger...should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryknow6sic6, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Ryknow (MuDvAyNe)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Claypool (if u dont know who this is ur stupid.)

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I dont know who they are, im "punk"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ...Brown.

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Ryknow6sic6

Ryknow6sic6 Guest

Dec 7, 2002
    hickville usa
    Dead By My Hands
    ----go to that site....but thats not the real reason why im here...i am debating whether or not to get this Gallien-Krueger head and cab combo in musicians friend...its a backline 250 head w/ a backline 410blx cab...i know flea plays g.k. but ive noticed thats like the only good artist that they endorse...i want to know if this $600 amp is worth it...PLEASE HELP ME...i dont want another piece of monkey poo amp.

2. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    actually he plays gallien heads and mesa boogie cabs

3. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    but remeber this you cant really go wrong w/ swr

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So what's the poll got to do with anything??:rolleyes:

Now, for my answer to your question: No.

5. Ryknow6sic6

Ryknow6sic6 Guest

Dec 7, 2002
    hickville usa
    thank u for the corrections arose 11...but i need answers about the amp...no offense

6. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    The only good player they endorse is flea? try chuck rainy, for starters. Anyway, I think GK stuff is solid though I'd see if you could get a slightly better head, the backline is underpowered, imo, I think the 400-III has 240 watts, wheres the backline has 120 or somethiing like that. real GK cabs are pretty expensive, though.

7. If you find a good site you can get a really good GK for not much money at all. Go for a real one, and you will not be sorry.

8. I say the 700 RB or the 1001 RB or wait until spring when new stuff emerges from the GK-castle and see what that is. just my 2 cents.

9. Matt Freeman aslo plays GK heads over Ampeg cabs.

I play all GK gear and I have to say that the backline stuff isn't great compared to the RB series.

For 600 you could easily pick up a 700RB and a RBH 2x10 is you don't mind used gear.

If you are looking for fleas tone, Well its in there somewhere

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    ATTENTION MODS!

WE NEED CARROTS!!!

Peace
    Nick

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Flea doesn't play Mesa cabs anymore.He uses Gallien Krueger 4-10 and 1-15 RBH cabs now.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What do you mean by good artist?

13. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I think he means artist that he's actually heard of... :rolleyes:

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Buy separates; you will get a better power supply and more power for the money. If you like a particular head like SWR, eden, etc then buy their preamp. You can also move up the chain to Kern, Demeter, New Epifani that coming out, or some of the MIC preamps like bassplayer just reviewed.

I think the biggest move you can make is finding a great power amp like the Crest Lt series amps because you can always change out the preamp. But the power amp is your source!!!!!!!!!

15. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Flea has been spotted using GK cabs.

16. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    And Trip returns from the shadows... So... Trip... you gonna spill it? TELL US ABOUT THE NEW STUFF!!!!!!!!! :D

17. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I have gone to Brazil, Australia, and the UK. I have really been busy. Doing clinics, playing Zydeco and having a vacation in the UK. I haven't been able to show my name around these parts for some time. As for the amps Jan. 16th will be THE DAY!! I will say this; there will be a new look and new lights and that's not the half of it. There that should do it for now. :D :D

18. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Damn you Trip... :p

(that's more info than we're got so far... guess I'll have to keep milking you since I'm the only one who hasn't given up...)

And BTW, hope things have been going well... I don't always mean to give you a hard time... ;) I just don't have your resources... Later---

Tom

19. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Yeah. I want to spill the beans. It's that the boss says no. I don't want things to be over-hyped, but things are really going to change in some good ways.

20. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Here's the question... Can GK improve my current sound which effectively translates to PURE BALLS? :D I'm keeping the faith... someday in late January, I'll have to make the drive and pick up a new unit to test (I'd like to test it with my cab, but may not be able to due to the drive and school). I look forward to hearing a sound which effectively translates to PURE UBER-BALLS... ;)
    Later---