Gallien Krueger vs Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Jun 9, 2003.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I'm in the market for buying a new head and I was wondering about two different amps and how which would be the better tone for Studio and Live.
    First being a Mesa Boogie 400+. I've always heard mesa boogie products are wonderful and that you can get such a wide variety of tone with this head. Also that it is built like a tank and will survive the road.
    Second is a Gallien Kreuger 1001 rb. I've heard a lot about this product and about GK having a distinct "growl" tone. I had one question about these amp though...In order to get the full extent of this amp do you need to own a GK cabinet with the Horn control? I've heard some people say that and was just curious.
    Just wondering if you guys could give me any advice on either of these amps (from experience or just knowledge).
  2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    After much analysis I just bought a GK 700RB 210.

the 700RB and 1001RB have a seperate 50 watt power amp that drives the tweeters. this can only be done through "GK" RBH cabinets using the speakon connectors.

Of course this extra power amp is just 50 watts
    and the new 1001RB at 4 ohms is 700 watts (double check that figure). so there's plenty of power.

and for the price that they ask for it is something else.

I haven't played any mesa boogy stuff but I know that the GK stuff has enough head room to suit a lot of situations. The growl is very nice. I also love how the GK is only like only around 20 pounds.

What kind of music are you into?
  3. low.ender

Oct 1, 2002
    I own a Mesa 400+ and dont plan on ever buying another amp head again. I also have a GK 400RB III (2x10)combo. My GK is alot lower wattage than the one you are looking at getting, but the 400 RB is basically a lower wattage version of the 1001. I can tell you the Mesa sounds awesome at all levels. It can handle any situation. I am so happy w/ this amp. My GK is a high quality practice amp nothing more. I would never gig w/ it. I had it at a couple of practices w/ my band a couple times and just couldnt handle it and I only play in a three piece. It sounds good at low volumes. Personally, I prefer tube tone to solid state, but people differ on this. Yeah, tubes need replacement about every two or three years or so which can run u about 250 bills. That is w/ an average of 15 hours per week playing time. Less than that you can get alot more. Good luck in your decision.
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Just out of curiousity, have you tried the Boogie head on the GK cab to see if the 2x10 cab even has the capability to get loud enough for your 3 piece band? I am just wondering if it is the lack of power from the RB400 head (150 watts into the 2 10s), or the lack of cone area in general. I am pretty sure that the 10s in the RB210 combo are 100 watts RMS each anyhow. I agree with you that the Mesa is a great sounding head. I don't see the GK400 and the Mesa 400 in the same ballpark, but after rereading your post, you don't really consider that amp much more than a practice amp, I guess.
    The GK1001 will hold it's own though.
  5. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I play bass in an 4 piece Indie/Emo/Hardcore band. Vocals, Guitar, Bass, and Drums so I have to hold up the low end side of the band but when I go high on the neck i don't want to loose that high end.

Right now I have a Gallien Krueger 1001 rb and a Carvin 4*10 @ 600 Watts...
    I love this cabinet because of it's light weight and look but sometimes I don't think it's pushing it's weight for low end. Plus I would hate to blow another speaker!!

Maybe I should be looking into upgrading my cabinet... Would another company of 4*10 be better for low end plus high wattage? or should i upgrade to a 2*15 or 6*10 (size is a limitation right now in my saturn :) )

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I used to live in the forum. Almost every person who owns the 4x10 loves it, but it doesn't go low.
  7. I play in an Emo/Screamo/Hardcore band, and i have a Mesa 400+ Stacked on a BagEnd Q10BX-D. monstrous noice comin outta that baby! (in a good way) I could ask for nothing else from this amp. I only picked it up saturday, so it's new to the family. I gig with it for the first time this fri. at a memorial for two musicians from my city who died last year in a car crash while touring with their band in detroit. i'll let you know how it hold up!

As well, the Mesa 400+ puts out some mean growl if you get it up loud enough, so don't worry about that. Yes you can get an incredable variety of tones through it. The only trouble with this head so far, is that it's a bit *too fat and warm* (if at all possible) for most cabinets. when i tried it in the store, i was really impressed with it's low end, and mids, but not so much with highs. However, since my cab has a Co-Ax in it, i knew it would better project my mid-highs and highs. It sounds perfect with my cab.

I'm just trying to give you an understanding of how this thing sounds (at my configurations). If your Carvin has no horn in it... it might not get all the highs you're looking for, but then again, I've only had this thing a few days. There IS an optional bass boost and treble boost in the amp (pull out the bass and treble knobs) so if your really short of the high end, you can always put that on. Also, don't forget it comes with a 7 band EQ, which really defines your sound to where you like it. As well, if you pull out the level knob for your input, (not the master volume) your amp will sound more sterile, and a bit more punchy (almost like an SWR) and not quite so warm.

All in all, the amp has been flawless so far, and it gives me all the control over the sound i need. Yes the tubes need replacing every so often, but in my opinion, the sound is unbeatable, and the power of a tube amp owns me.

My vote is DEFINATELY for a Mesa 400+!!

8. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Wow so there are people in here who like screamo and/or emo. You guys have any links or MP3s of your bands? (Sorry I know this is off topic).
  9. Once my band actually gets some kind of an EP or Cd out, i'll post it for sure. WE've just finished a 4 song demo, just to get some gigs and some exposure. However, even though this is even more off topic...

I would suggest looking into these band on, because alot of my friends are doing well in new bands.

Misery Signals - formed from the former members of 7Angels 7Plagues and Compromise (Jordan Wodehouse and Dan Langois are the two guys i'm doing a memorial for on Fri. They were hit by a drunk driver while touring in Detroit. I know Stu Ross from Misery Signals pretty well) NOW ON Ferret Records!!

The Hollywood Ending - A band all from St.Albert AB (where I live) they've been together for around 8 months, but have already succeeded beyond expectation. They were featured on the homepage (right underneath Led Zeppelin) and have songs at #6 and #18 (last time i checked) on the Indie/Punk Top 50. I know Stu Ross (worked at the local CD Plus), Grahm Churchill (worked at innovations music), and Ryan "Pud" Podebuny (worked at rogers video).

Belvedere - Have done numerous tours in Europe with "larger" bands, they played Warped Tour in Calgary last year, and i know Graham Churchill as well.

Drive By Punch - An Emo/Screamo band from Leduc. I play with them this fri. at Trust These Wings. Lonnie (guitar) is known for having an amazingly tight ass.

Lost Action Heros - A Ska/Rock band from Edmonton/St.Albert. Have done Plenty of touring with Gob, Mad Caddies, Etc. I know one of their horn players (Mr.King) and as well, his Dad taught me Industrial Arts in Gr.8.

Sorry if i sound like a stalker or dufus or something, but i know these guys pretty well, Definitely Check them out on

10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Until tomorrows site is there is an mp3 on their. They rock out@!, long live emo/hardcore/screamo.
  11. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Wurd up! they are from Milwaukee! Our drummer works with a girl that lives with guys from Misery Signal or 7 Angels 7 Plagues... (can't remember which one it was)
  12. Hey guys,
    Quick note about GK, the new SBX speaker cabinets will also take the biamp signal from the GK head. the 410SBX lists for $649 These should be popping up in stores as we speak.
  13. Bah! What a small world! that's incredable! Yah, i live for Misery Signals. Their CD/EP is incredable. i actually have no life, because all i do is listen to them, LOL. no really though, and incredable band!! They'll be playing up here for the.. Yesterday was Everything Fest. in mid August. If you like their stuff, i reeeeeeally suggest checking out a band called Oceans Away, from Spruce Grove (another Suburb of Edmonton) They have some incredable stuff as well (nothing compared to misery signals tho..) My favorite songs by misery Signals are Like Yesterday, Lie Captive, and Blessing or Curse (Echoes part II).

Just as a side note, the song *The year summer ender in june.... is all about how the 2 guys from compromise died. You can especially make out, at 3:10 in *the year summer ender in june, Jesse (their vocalist) Says, "That night, in detroit, with the Preshure Point" - Another band i noted you should definitely check out. Also, Carol-Ann Wodehouse (the mother of Jordan who died from compromise) is having a memorial ceremony tomorrow night at 12:57 (the exact time the 2 got in the crash). Should be an interesting time.

Keep it real in the Hardcore Scene!