gallien krueger vs mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by str84wardtravis, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Alright so this is the set up I have right now. GK 800RB + 115 rbh + 210 RBH. I recently heard the mesa m-pulse 600 w/ the matching 410's and 1 15. I am considering trading in my GK rig for the mesa setup. thoughts? Advice?
  2. I have played through both setups and I prefer the GK, myself.

Mesa, is tube with a great sound but not as much headroom as the GK. IMHO.

Depends on your taste, but the amps WILL sound different from one another.

3. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Headroom ? Mesa M-pulse 600 watts , Gk RB800 300 watts.. I sold all my GK stuff for Mesa.:eek: And I wouldn't play anything else but Mesa.
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It wouldn't be a trade, it would be a trade in. The Mpulse 600 head is $1000 by itself. I own basically the same stack as you with the 1001 head. I couldn't tell you which one I like better, But I did really like the Mpulse 600 with 2x10 cab. Tubes are nice, but heavy.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Obviously, it's up to you to decide which to go for.
    According to you...
    the GK 800 is (apparently) SS, sufficient and lightweight
    Mesa 600 is tube, heavier, and more powerful.

If you're happy with your GK rig at the moment, why not save up for the mesa head and keep the GK as a great, lightweight backup? Chance are..... no matter what you get, you'll want to try that GK head again down the road.

That's the way these gassy things work.
  6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Classic apples & oranges:

G-K: Uses "G.I.V.E." tecbnology, great FET design by Bob Gallien that emulates a tube-driven sound.
    I dig the way GK's are voiced, real punchy clean
    attack, great voicing filters, excellent EQ.
    My 400RBIII served me very well; the newer heads are even more powerful.

Mesa M-Pulse: is an excellent hybrid design that utilizes (2) 12AX7's in the pre-amp to color the sound. The series, from the Walkabout to the Venture combos has been a success for Mesa; desrvedly so. They have it all- a great warmtn and a real solid attack that retains a lot of the classic Mesa bass tones from the incredible all-tube 400.

As far as drivers go, I'm pretty sure that the GK speakers are made to their specs by Eminence, and I've used their cabs and they sound very good, especially well-voiced with their heads.

Mesa is using PAS drivers in the Powerhouse series, and Mesa knows what to do for the bass guitar.

You can't go wrong with either.
    Go flip a coin.

Heads you win...;)
  7. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I find GK very good but i would definitely go for Mesa boogie cos i was very impressed by the M-pulse 600. Very warm sound and very versatile amp. Wonderful toner which can be very loud !