Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunkjam, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Hey, I was looking around at combo's and such and I've heard a lot about SWR, Ampeg, and other brands. I haven't heard much about Gallien-Krueger. Are they nice amps? What styles of playing do they appeal to? Thanks.
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i've been looking at many amps lately, and to be honest, i think my favorite brand is gallien krueger. the sound is tight, transparent, clean, kinda bright but warm...i give GK the nod. lots of clarity - very fast response. i've compared GK to SWR (i currently own an swr), fender, eden (can you justify that cost?!), ampeg, and others. i'm on the brink of buying a GK rig - it just sounds like i want it to sound. but i want to try a carvin far the best deal around.

flea (from red hot chili peppers) played Gallien Krueger for a long time (i'm not sure if he still does). i think funk (thump/slap/pop) players tend to dig GK. but it's versatile enough for pretty much anything...unless you like a phat tube sound - kinda boomy with less clarity. then GK might not cut it...look into Sunn or ampeg.

one of the best bass tones i've ever heard was a musicman 5 string thru a Demeter tube bass preamp (little half rack thing - i'm not sure if you can still get one), a gallien krueger 400rb (their least expensive head), and a hartke 4x10. wow.
  3. I heard a lot about GK amps being somewhat unreliable, so I was wondering: AFAIK there is a GK 2001 Preamp. Using that and a separate power-amp would solve the biggest problems of the amps, wouldn't it?

I looked around but there's no info on the preamp on their site. Anyone know where I can learn some more about it?
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used a G-K big rig in my club days, and really liked it. Never had any problems. I've been interested in the combos, too. They have some at the local GC, but the power strips were off, so I couldn't try one (go figure). The interesting thing I did see, though, is that these are designed to tilt back like a floor monitor, and they are on wheels - including a pop-up handle for transport. My guess is that they have that same G-K sound, and that's a good thing.
  5. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I'm quite intrested in a GK head, they are small and can be had for not too much dough.
    anyone tried playing a Warwick trough one of these?
    I heard they are quite transperent sounding amps.
  6. I have been using the same GK 400RB for over 15 years and never any problems. I also have one of the micro seires heads that I use for smaller gigs and it works great. GK has always used good quality parts & components and haven't gone the way of other amps makers who use the cheapest possible stuff.
  7. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Owned a GK for 11 years and never had problem.
    I think they build a nice amp and have a good sound for most anything.
    I now use a Genz Benz combo with a pair of 10's and a 15 cab.The GB offers a very clean sound and a lot of tone."I" prefer a amp that wont change the sound of my bass.
    If I were useing a cheaper bass I would use a different amp to make up for the instrument.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I used to really like my old GK RCB 200 head... only problem with it was lack of wattage. The sound was really good though.
  9. Thanks for the replies, they'll help me out a lot. I guess I'll have to go and test some amps and stuff and see how they fit my style.
  10. GK amps sound very good, but the company has had some reliability issues lately. Be sure that the place you buy one from will let you bring it back for an exchange if you have any problems. You probably will not have any problems, but just in case...
  11. Had a 800 RB and abused it often. Always came back for more. Sold it to go all tube. May get another though, consistent and powerful.
  12. The Bird

The Bird

Apr 19, 2000
    I'm cureently playing through a GK 1001RB 2x10" combo. Man this thing really blows me away each time I play it. I used to play through an SWR SM400 head and a Henry 8x8. Great sound, but lugging the Henry around really gave me a sore back. Then I tried this little brute in a store one day and it was what I had been searching for. Its got great sound and is plenty loud and the EQ section is pretty flexible. You can practically dial in any style you want. Best of all, i can lug this thing around with ease as its got casters and a pop up handle. Can't wait to get my extension cab - GK RBH 2x10" cab.
  13. TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I bought a brand new GK 2000RB and had it fail me twice within a year...quit right in the middle of songs! That was AFTER I had received it from GK's Repair Dept. (BTW-I sent it to them in late March of 2000 and never got it back 'til late June of 2000 -I had MANY problems trying to get in touch with them re: status of repair etc.--all I got was answering machines, unanswered e-mails, and not 'til I told the operator that I INSISTED upon talking to someone in the repair dept. did I finally get to talk to someone with answers...they upgraded my 2000RB to "current production standards" ...It sounded fantastic when I got it back --3 months later, right in the middle of a song, it died again...I brought it back to the dealer and got rid of it...too bad for GK...this amp really sounded great when it worked...really cool looking too. But, in my opinion and experience--VERY unreliable. One bass playing tech that appears on this forum (very respected) suggested to me that "GK's 2000RB has way too much power for the circuitry built around it."
  14. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Even though I'm an Eden guy, I think G-K is one of the brands that you must audition every time you make a purchase. It's good gear.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hmm... that could be. My GK was a low wattage variety. I loved it's sound... but I wasn't trying to pump out 1000+ watts. Certainly the brand name is no gaurantee of product reliability.
  16. Everyone told me that GK was the way to go. I bought a new 800 RB unit less than a year ago. The amp failed in the middle of a gig. Numerous phone calls to GK's customer service were never returned. Numerous E-mails to GK generated only one response, "Take it to your nearest service center."

Got the amp back after a few days (and 200 miles of driving) and it failed again in the middle of a gig. The service company has the amp for a second time now. They've had it for three months and stated they are negotiating with GK to determine what's wrong with it and exactly which components need to be replaced. In the meantime, I bought a Carvin R1000 Series III head.

Amazing that a highly regarded company like GK won't stand behind their products and don't have any respect for their customers. I assure you, Carvin does. Assuming I ever get the amp back, it goes up for sale.
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll say this about GK...I've owned a 200MB practice amp for about 15 years or so. It sounds pretty good, though it's not really great at holding the lows. But, that could be a function of the lone-10" speaker.

That said, I still think it sound pretty good. But, as good as it sounds, I'd never buy another GK product again. I've had some reliability issues with one thing or another failing. Granted, only 3 things in 15 years, but GK, as a company, is horrible to deal with!:mad:
  18. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from GK here! Always popping up where you least expect it. I have REALLY been paying attention to all of you guys. To T Collins: The 2000rb issue is usually two switches in the back that rattle loose. About the the 2001 preamp. It will indeed work well with any power amp. They are about to start shipping. If you go that route I really like the QSC powerlight series. Tons 'o wattage and mimimal weight. I am a player and not just a desk jockey. I have used most of our gear in clubs, ampitheatres, New Orleans Jazzfest, all sorts of places. I will try to help everyone here out.
  19. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Trip on the website it lists the 115BXL as 200 watts but I have a Bass Player Magazine and on the back theirs an ad for the new Backline stuff and it says 150 watts... which one is right? Also I noticed the concepts page and theres an 800RB pre amp. Is that just a "concept" or will that actually go out on the market?
  20. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I WANT the 800rb preamp to get out there. I think it would be really hot. As for the rating on the 115BLX I think that BP is right. However, we may have upped the wattage on the speaker AFTER the BP ad. I'll try to find out the real story.