Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DBassmaker, Mar 22, 2001.

1. DBassmaker

DBassmaker Guest

Mar 22, 2001
    Im considering purchasing a Gallien Krueger bass head but I'm unsure of which one i want/need I'm planning on buying a Hartke 4.5 cabinet to run it with. Is there much difference between the 400RB and 700RB GK head? Also if anyone has had any experience with either setups input would be much appreciated. I really want a GK head and am probly goin to get one but Im still uncertain about the cabinet. Suggestions, Comments anything'll help thanks

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If my memories correct the big difference is the power ratings between the 2 heads. the 400 is 240 watt the 700 is 380W. Im sure theres more but i dont what they are, mf catolog is kinda vague.

the 4.5 xl cab is a 400 watt 8 ohm cab, either head will push the cab easily. I love the sound of Hartke cabs but when I was working for ThoroughBred Music, I noticed that more Hartke speaker cabinets came in for repair (blown speakers/voice coils) than any other cab we sold. The aluminum cones cant breathe like paper cone drivers do and they dont have the give that the paper cones do and it causes failure in them. It really is a shame because they do sound great. I used to have one and loved it.

A good 4x10 cab to consider is the Carvin RL 4x10 enclosure, I have one of them now and love it more than any other cab I've ever had. They are less expensive than the other brands like Hartke, Ampeg, and SWR, but they sound just as good in my opinion. They have an excellent return policy if you dont like it just send it back and you get a full refund, only draw back is you have to pay shipping costs. But they are definatly worth looking into