Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris3142, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Hey Everyone,
    I've been having a very eventful few months, and my band is actually making a little bit of money... so i've got some to blow on a new rig hopefully some time soon. ButI've been looking at this Gallien-Krueger combo package, its the 400rb/210 combo with the 115 RBS cabinet. It looks very appealing because i could take the combo if space is tight or if i dont need the power, or i could take the whole thing if i needed to. Plus i think the 2x10 and 1x15 sound is very appealing to me also, because i dont like the sound of all 10 inches, but my current 1x15 sounds a bit to muddy for me, i like that punch of 10s but with the solid low end of 15s, I play a stingray right now, so i want to really get that tone.. for 1000 dollars this gallien-krueger is looking very good, but is it reliable and do u think it will do the trick for me? i cant really play it right now, but i'll try to. Thanks for any help.
  2. I have played it and definately like it. You have the right idea, about the combo for tight space, and I also think 2x10" and 1x15" is the perfect setup for anysize club....I will hopefully have my Mesa/Boogie 2X10" before the summer.....
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    One suggestion. Wait a little and get at least the 700rb/210 combo, or if at all ossible, the 1001rb/210 combo. A lot more headroom and power especially since you want to add a cab
    A grand sounds like a lot of money for the 400rb/210, it seems you may be able to do beeter than that or at least get a 700 for a grand. what is the list price?
    let me know the list price and i may be able to lead you to a better discount

if you are going to buy a 1 /15 cab as well, get the GK, use a 4 conductor speakon cable and you can control both tweeters and woofers from the front panel of the amp. a great feature since you won't blow fuses since the tweeter is biamped and only gets 50 watts ( 75 @ 4 ohms), more than plenty-
    these are the amps i use, if you have any questions- good luck, peace. Adrian
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a 1001rb that I run two Eden 2-10T cabs with. I also have an 800rb, and I used to own a 400rb (the older model).

I strongly urge you get the 1001, or at least the 700. You'll need the extra power and headroom. Although the 400rb III can handle most smaller clubs, you won't have two important things IMO:

1) dynamic headroom

2) good, punchy, low end definition so that your low notes are clear and not muddy. That's what the extra power really will do for you.

This is based on my personal experiences in over 24 years of playing bass, and also my close observations of my friend's rigs and their performances. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did.
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    chris 3142:
    i just bought the new issue of BP, and the giveaway shows a GK 1001rb/210 combo and it says it lists for $1,699. i guess their list prices went up, because i don't remeber it being that expensive, however, just off the top, a 30% discount from list ( pretty standard) will leave you at $1,189,. If you haggle with the store, you may do better than that. Or seek one used at ebay or or harmony central. That means that for a little more than $1,000 , you can have a lot more power, which you will need. let me know if you already bought the amp, I really wanna help you get a good deal. I believe in GK, it's great stuff. let me know, peace, adrian
  6. hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I bought a 1001RB/210 combo about 3 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. I tried it next to the GK 700/115 combo, and sound sound was "comparable" - though it doesn't have the low end of the 15" combo. I intend on working it with a RBH 115 cab if I need more low-end.

I agree with the other comments saying to get the 700 at a minimum. If you're going to be running more than the 2x10 that comes in the combo, you may want the extra headroom and punch the bigger amp will deliver.

FWIW - my 1001RB/210 was about $1230 from the local Guitar Center. I realize I could have saved a few bucks mail order, but this thing is a behemoth (about 85 pounds) and I'd rather not have it shipped.

*heh* Now that I got a decent amp, I need to get a decent bass to use with it. SG 200 GSR for now.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hammong, i don't know wht your budget is, but check out the MTD Kingston. It's ridicously cheap and a great bass. feels very close to my $3,ooo MTD 535.
    it has a very cool sound on it's own and if you need, you can throw an onboard pre on there for $100- 150 and it will smoke!!!! you can pick up the 5 string for under $500. That bass would easily sell for $1,000. if you have the $$$, get an american MTD.
    there are so many great basses out there. -- good luck-- adrian