Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gudforniet, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Gudforniet

Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    well guys, i'm in search of a new amp...I been thinkin about gettin the Gallien Krueger 1001RB, any comments on that or does anybody have any suggestions???
    thanks

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    G-K's have a sterile quality. I suggest trying them, they're certainly not for everyone.

IMO, they don't have a very big sound either.

I like their sound, personally, but I'm sure some people hate it. If you like a warm sound, it's your most feared nightmare.

3. Gudforniet

Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    what do u mean by BIG sound? liek popular or wattage wise??

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    haha!

No, big as in a fat sound.
    It's not really worth explaing further, considering it's NOT what they sound like.

Just try one.

5. I totally disagree. I have had a Trace Elliot, an Ampeg, a Mesa Boogie, an SWR SM400S and now have a GK800RB. The GK has the warmest sound of all of them, and I've never been wanting more power at a gig. It's certainly not sterile to my ears, my SWR was tho. But that's just my opinion.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You thought the G-K was warm? That's incredibly odd...

Then again, the 800RB is quite an old design, it could be relatively warm sounding, I don't recall, I've never played an 800RB, just 1001RB's and 700RB's, both sounded incredibly sterile to my ears, and in all the recordings I've herad of people using G-K's...

I perfer the sterile sound though. :)

7. I Have a GK800RB and a 1974 SVT.
    I absolutely love the GK.
    Yea, it's a bit on the clean side, but to my ears it's more focused that the SVT.
    I play club type gigs and the GK is a match made in heaven. Tone and power to spare,coupled with a Sansamp Bass DI and I'm a happy,happy guy.
    When you have the tone and the lighweight capabilities of the GK it's nearly impossible to go with the SVT.
    That said, large outdoor venues will most certianly
    recquire the raw power of the SVT.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I posted a detailed commentary on the GK 1001rb a few months ago. Rather than me reposting, please do a search for 1001 in this site and you'll come across my previous post.

In short, the amp has great tone and actually sounds different than 800rb, which I used for 10 years. The new tone controls have more lows/bottom (if you need it) and slightly warmer highs and mids than the 800rb. I would say that it approaches the tube sound but doesn't quite have that extreme roundness to the low end; you can get this from other brand amps that have a the tube preamp (SWR, etc.).

In any case, I really like the amp's sound and its compactness.

You will also hear negative comments about GK quality control and lemons. I guess I've been lucky. No problems at all with any GK. Over the past 25 years, I've owned a 400B, 400rb, 800rb and the 1001rb.

As far as other negative comments on GK's tone, I believe that we all have different tastes and different ears, so you'll hear differing opinions from people. you should consider this factor as you read all of these posts. Different strokes for different folks....

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You found an 800RB warmer than a Mesa Boogie??!! Haven't heard that opinion prior to now. Marty, which Boogie did you compare it to?

I used an 800RB for several years and found it to be a good, solid and reliable gig partner. Didn't find the tone particularly "warm," however and now I mostly use a Boogie 400+. I also came to regard the 800RB's tonal character as rather "vanilla," especially after I tried out an Eden WT400. The Mesa, BTW, was initially a bitch to dial-in but well worth the effort.

I use a GK 400RB as a backup amp and always carry an eighties model behind the seat in case I have a gig emergency. The 400RB, IMO, is the mainstay in a gigging bassist's gear "toolbox."

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I have 2 questions... (this might stray a little off topic)

A) Are you looking to sell your 800RB at all? I'm looking to buy either an 800RB or 1001RB. If so, PM me.

B) I agree, they have a "vanilla" or sterile quality to them.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yo, Mark: I sold the 800RB about 6 months ago, bro. Sorry.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Ahh, it's cool.
    I suppose I'll go new then.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    crawlingeye,

I bought my 1001rb from Musician's Friend a year ago. the price went up since then, but it's still pretty cheap given the wattage you get. about $750 for 540 watts rms into 4 ohms.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The more I think about it, I might go with the 800RB, also, there's a local store that sells the 800RB for $649, and compared to musicians friend who's selling it for $749, that's not bad at all. :)

P.S. I find it odd how the 1001RB and 800RB are the same price, am I alone in this?

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The 800rb price is a decent one. and yes, the pricing of the 1001rb and 800rb is interesting.

One other thing to check on...

When I did an A/B comparison of my 800rb and my new 1001rb. This test was done with Eden 2-10 cabs and an MTD 535, Lakland 55-94, and Fender Jazz. I noticed that there was a difference in tone. The 800 has a more sterile dry tone, abeit very clean and punchy. The 1001 has a more noticable extended rounded bottom, with warmer high mids, and hi-fi like treble tone.

Also, if you have the tone, preamp volume, boost, and master volume controls set the same way, the 800 sounds louder, for some curious reason.

Both amps sound good, just different. I called GK about this. They stated that the 1001 has improved tone circuits which results in better tone. About the volume difference, they said that the 1001 puts out more lows than the 800. Since it takes more watts to put out lower frequencies, if you do an A/B test, you would end up with lower dbs on the 1001 if you set both amps at the same settings. I guess it's not a fair test. Whatever the case, the 1001 puts out more power, and it's able to put out lower lows than the 800. I don't know if I believe all that tech talk, but I'm very happy with the 1001. The 800 is a great back up.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think that pretty much decides it... 800RB it is.

Now for me to find a job to get the rest of the $500 I need :(

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had an 800RB for about 12 years with heavy use, and it never failed me, even though it took a tumble down a few staircases at various times inside a rack case.

When I bought the newer 2000RB, it was a piece of JUNK. It smoked one night when I powered it up for a gig. I thought I may have just gotten a lemon, but GK was TERRIBLE on its warranty service (5 to 6 months to get it back, and even then only after I hounded them). I heard all sorts of BS excuses from GK, and when I finally got the amp back, it kept cutting out at various times after it warmed up. I later learned that all of the 2000RB's were lemons and were discontinued from production. Nice of them to tell me, huh?

Everybody's experience is different, but I will NEVER buy another new GK product by virtue of the way its warranty service dept. treated me.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

The 800RB is most likely a more reliable amp, considering it's been being produced far longer than the 2000RB. Also, I've heard tons of stories about G-K's quality control, which makes me a little uneasy about buying one. But I'm guessing I can make sacrafices to get the tone I want...

From what I gather though, if you play a G-K head for an hour or so, and it's working fine, it will work fine.

P.S. You sold you 800RB, or no?
    ...Still looking for a G-K 800RB, if anyone reads this and has one, PM me. :)

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    as a GK endorser- i am compelled to respond-
    the 800 rbs are workhorses- when i was playing 120 shows a year on the road- i always asked for an 800 from backline-
    i couldnt wait when the 2000rb came out- it sounded awesome!!!! but then ... yes, the thing crapped out on me all the time, and at the worst moment, like on a solo break or when i dug in a little- i sent it back a couple of times and same thing... so later for the 2000- i went with the 1001 rb in a 210 combo for my personal amp- i LOVE it- not a single problem- so , yes, the 2000 were dogs, believe me, the suffered because of that. major messup!! but the subsequent models have been fine- i am surprised that you were treated poorly- i have no excuse for that, i dont blame you for not returning to them in that case... i guess i woulod have done the same... sorry, bro.

20. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    I bought a 1001rb. I liked the way it sounded but it always took me 3 or 4 times to turn it on. I mean I would push in the power -- the led would light red, then it would briefly go green and shut off. Would do this over and over. Finally got fed up and returned it and bought a Sunn 1200s. I could not be happier, the Sunn is awesome.

S