Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmkelly, May 24, 2003.

1. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, I am as surprised as anyone... Always being a dedicated Ampeg fan, I never really thought to much about straying too far... Well, My B4R seems to really be having some fits, so much so that I will need to get it into a shop to get it looked at. So needing a backup, I got a GK 700 RB from our very own Brendan in a trade... This amp is way cool! I am running it in place of my b4r, but on only one of my BSE410 cabs... with the usual bbe running in the effects loop. This thing is tons louder than I would have imagined, and has some really great punchy tones! I am very impressed with this amp... I will probably run all my basses through it today, and see what the verdict is. So far I have only played a p bass through it, can't wait to see how an active five-stringer does through it!

2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    well, after much playing around and comparing with my other head (AMpeg b4r) I really believe that there is an issue with the ampeg. I ran both amps into the same Ampeg Cab, with nothing in the effects loops, just bass--head--cabinet. The cab is 400 watts @ 4 ohms, the GK head is 380 watts @ 4 ohms, and the Ampeg (into one cabinet) is 340 watts @ 4 ohms. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the outputs of these two heads should be approximate, correct? I find that the Amped is seriously underpowered, compared to the GK. So I will get in touch with Ampeg this week and get the wheels turning to get my Ampeg head repaired/replaced... Anyone have any comments on Ampeg customer service?

3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There is one TB'er who repairs amps for a living that speaks ill of Ampeg because they exagerate their power claims.
  4. I owned an Ampeg solid state head (I think it was the B2R) which was rated at 350 watts into 4 ohms. It seemed under powered so I compared it to an Eden WT-300 at 300 watts and the Eden was the clear winner. I liked the Ampeg's preamp but the Eden just kicked it in terms of power. I wonder if Ampeg over-rates their solid state amps.
  5. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    I bought two GK-800RBs in 1992 and I still use one of them nearly every day. Over 10 years of trouble free use and tons of power make it a great value. Also, with some of my other amps there seemed to be consistency issues....same setup-different sounds from night to night, but the GK has been extremely stable, predictable and reliable. It's one piece of gear that I always have been and always will be happy to have bought. Over the years I've been using the GK, I've changed my mind about every other piece of gear I have (except Rotosound Swing 66's). Zillions of basses, cabs, effects, pickups, cases, wireless rigs etc. have come and gone, but the GK remains (and the Rotos). That has to say something good about the GK-800RB.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pretty cool amp, ain't it? :D
  7. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    GKs have juice. No doubt about it. I played through an Ampeg SVT 4 and an SWR Big Ben and Goliath III at New Orleans Jazz Fest. I could really "feel" my bass, but I could not "hear" it. (It was time to play tunes, not with knobs. So It was set flat with some low end boost. Perhaps it's all my fault. Flat is a setting that screams on a GK. Excessive knob tweaking drives me nuts.) The rest of the guys said so as well. They were kind of upset with me because I left my GK and Glock heads at home. I felt lazy that day.