gallien-kruegers amps and racks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Feb 22, 2005.

1. could the 1001RB-II be put in a skb shallow rack case that is only 2u space, im wondering beacuse the fan is on the top instead of on the back, would enough air get to the fan without causing failure?
  2. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    You might just want to make swiss cheese of the case where the fan discharges.

3. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I use a Gator 3-space shallow rack for my GK 1001RB II. Allows plenty of air movement, and is very compact. Cost me about $70.00.
  4. it depends on how much clearance is in there. If the fan is blocked and the amp overheats, it'll go into protect mode meaning it will shut down on you. Protect mode will prevent your amp from being damaged, but it might be annoying in the middle of a gig.
  5. well has anybody done this without having a rack space above.
  6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have used both an SKB rotox 3 and 4 space rack with no problem. It is more shallow than the gorilla. In the 3 space rack, I put the 1001 on the bottom two spaces and a surge strip in the top. I have never had overheating problems, ever. What I would suggest doing is getting a 3/8" drill bit and put a bunch of holes above the fan opening, just to make sure it has a chance to cool down if it needs to. I would get a pencil and trace around a beer can or a 3" cup and make a nice pattern and start drilling (with the amp out). That should be all you have to do.

Good luck,
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I personally don't understand why some bass amp manufacturers design rack-mount bass amps with top or side fan venting. Front and back makes so much more sense for rack mount units. Its as if rack mounting was an afterthought in poor engineering.

I've seen some people poke holes in their SKB racks or even cut spaces to mount an external fan to the casing, but in each instance it ruins the weatherproof-ness of the case. So many times I've loaded in or out in a downpour rain, and thank goodness my case is watertight.

If I had an amp I absolutely loved that only had a top fan vent, I'd make sure my rack had an empty space right above it before I'd go poking holes in the case.
  8. Daniel, could an owner mount another cooling fan in the back of the GK amps that would blow the hot air out the front of the unit?

I know this would probably void the warranty, but it seems to me that'd solve the problem of having the top vent blocked in a 2U rack.

Also- How about GK redesigning the heads with ventilation slots in the rear panel instead of the top?
  9. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    This is all you need. No ventilation issues, very compact and light. You still have plenty of room for your power cord and speaker cables. Plus, you can leave your rubber feet on as well as leave the rack handles where they are. The front cover will fit over the handles without having to reverse them.

Gator Case
  10. do they carry a 2 space rack?

id rather get the shallow rack from skb beacuse the depth is 10 inches, instead of a wastful 14,
  11. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Can't seem to find one.