Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gallien kruger head and ashdown cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Jul 18, 2002.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    how does it sound? gk head with ashdown cabinet.

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from GK here! I have no real idea at all! What is the head you are considering? I can at least tell you how that sounds.:)

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Trip : How it compares the 700RB with
    the 800RB ?

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The 700 is a bit fatter sounding than the 800. It also has more headroom as well. I like 'em both.

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    gk was my wish before i went to glockenklang.
    I still think that for the price gk is very good option, perhaps the best, but i choose glock because of its purity and studio quality sound.

6. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Glock is a great choice! You must be one of the elite you can actually hear!:D

7. I pulled a driver out of an Ashdown 4x10 once. The cab was rated 600w RMS according to the plate on the back. That would make each driver 150w. The driver I pulled was obviously an Eminence made for Ashdown, and the type maxs out at about 90-100w, thus making the cab 400w, not 600w. Hmmmmm.......sounds a bit sus to me.

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey everyone, I know it's been a year or so since anyone posted here, but I just bought an Ashdown MAG 410T "Deep" and I'm wondering if anyone knows how a GK 400RB-IV 280 watt head will sounds through this cab. Thanks in advance.

Ralph

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Trip from GK? As in your working for GK again?

~Patrick

10. That's a year old post from Trip.

I'm a big fan of Ashdown. It should sound great with the 400RB. I haven't actually tried them together though, but both Ashdown and GK make quality stuff so it should be fine. The advantage with going with a GK cabinet would be that it's designed to handle the high current output from the GK amp. That just means you'll reach speaker distortion on the Ashdown before you would the GK cabinet. It's likely a negligable difference though.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh, silly me.

~Patrick

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    ok, so if the 400RB-IV puts out 280 watts at 4 ohms, and the Ashdown MAG-410T can handle 350 watts at 8 ohms, then it will still distort even at lower volume settings? What would adding a second cabinet do for that? Is it a bad idea to get the Ashdown cab with a GK head? Would a different head work better with that cab? If so, I really want it to stay right about 500 for the head.

13. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Just another quick question, since I've never had anything but a combo amp, how do I handle the 8 ohm/4 ohm thing? Is there something I have to adjust on the amp or does it take care of itself solely by the cabinet attached to it and how do I know how much power it's putting out???? Man, this is so confusing.....