Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GallienKrueger 1001 RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kakulash, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Kakulash

Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    I have a Gallien Krueger 1001RB II which i run through an Ampeg 410HE. Everything works fine except that I play REALLY hard, and when I slap the low E the horn makes this awful pop sound (probably cause its the string hitting the pickup.) Does anyone know a setting that gets rid of this problem? Thanks alot!

And don't tell me to not play so hard. Flea does it and always sounds aweome!

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    lower your pickup height so the string doesn't hit it... :bassist:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Also, don't hit the string over the p'up. Try hitting the string at the base of the neck. Oh, and get a GK RBH 4x10! :bassist:

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

In fact, get two of them.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ahh, another excuse!! :bag:

6. Kakulash

Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    thanks, ill try to lower the pickups a little bit.

Also, whats a setting for the punchiest tone possible?

or any other cool settings that you know

thanks!

7. Superfly7044

Superfly7044

Jun 19, 2004
    I'm thinking about getting a 1001RB head. How do you like it ? Do you play a lot of funk ? What about the versatility ?

8. Kakulash

Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    ive only had it for a day, and i like it alot so far.

my only problem is when i play REALLY hard, my horn distorts or makes this pop sound (which might be the cab's fault)

im going to try lowering the pickups a little bit, put on new strings, polish the fretboard, and put in a new battery, and if i still cant get THE PERFECT TONE, then i guess i was never meant to play bass.

9. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    there might be an attenuator for the horn on the back of the cab, you may try turning that down.

10. It sounds to me like you're overdriving the horn. They make a nasty popping sound when they peak. I would turn down the treble and/or the presence. turning down the horn attenuator on the cabinet may help as well.