Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by spalka621, Jul 26, 2005.

1. spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My band is covering Iron Maidens "Run To The Hills". Now I want to get the gallop in the song downbut im finding it alittle hard. I was just wondering whats the best way to play that line. As of this point im using three fingers. :confused:
  2. MAWBassist

Jul 18, 2005
    I learned basically how to fingerpick by listening to iron maiden, I think the best way to do it would be just to practice and stretch your fingers out before hand. It makes your muscles relax so then they can get stronger while you play. If you're short on time, I'd say just play the song the best you can don't worry if its exact. Steve Harris is like freaky good it will take a loooong time to ever get that good.
  3. Well I learned almost everything about a three finger approach and galloping from Steve Harris. Basically just practicing Maiden songs and doing little exercises in school helped me out the most. To practice without a bass I use my ring - middle - index fingers in that order and just strike them on a surface one after the other making sure to keep them spaced out. Hell if you want to just do it at home instead of randomly around, grab a metronome and go for it increasing speed. Then I basically do the same thing with my bass. There's not much to it really because once you get it, you got it. Then it is working on stamina with the approach.
  4. spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the help guys. I just saw Harris at ozzfest he's so awsome.
  5. Tompskij

Jul 23, 2005
    Train all your 3 fingers. Now I use 3 fingers without thinking....i'm very proud. After you have learned to quite good with 3 fingers you just train your speed. Playing Iron Maiden songs is good, but really, whatever you play it is good. Its important to train your cordination.
    I remember the first time I saw "Run To The Hills"...I tought that was impossible, now, 1 year later (i started to use 3 fingers 1 year ago) I can sleep while playing it....its not really that hard. And you can play it with 2 fingers to, my bass teacher can galopp faster then me and he uses 2 looks very cool... :bassist: