1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Galloup School of Guitar Building and Repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pocketgroove, Aug 4, 2012.

1. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    Has anyone taken a class here before? I'm thinking it might be the next step in my education. I'm looking at the 8 week journeyman program, as well as taking the pickup winding, tube amp building, and inlay seminars on the side.

I know that Roberto-Venn is the big name for lutherie schools, but Galloup is in my home state (Michigan), and they offer programs that match my interests, are the right length, and are relatively affordable. For the main program and the three seminars, it will cost $7800, which is nothing compared to the cost of attending a four year university.

Does anyone have any experience with the school or the programs, or with Bryan Galloup himself? Thanks in advance, and I appreciate the help!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  3. bryan is a personal friend of mine and a excellent luthier. he has been my tech for over 15 years and i've never been disappointed in the work he's done on my basses. i highly recommend him and his school . by the way the facilities and living quarters of the school are very cool and first rate.

4. tweed

tweed

Jul 26, 2012
    I also highly recommend the school. I attended it last year with no prior lutherie experience. They teach you the essential techniques that are used by the pros and you end up leaving with some pretty sweet instruments.

I live near the school and know the instructors pretty well, they are great guys and extremely knowledgable. If you're interested, I definitely recommend the Galloup School.

5. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    Thanks so far for the responses, everybody! The article was great, and it was awesome to hear from people who are familiar with the school and staff. It's sounding more and more like what I want to do.

@tweed: are the instructors pretty patient and helpful? Also, I heard there was a written exam, and I was wondering what that consists of. What kind of certification do you receive? Sorry for all the questions! It's just really great to hear from someone who has experienced it first hand.

6. tweed

tweed

Jul 26, 2012
    The instructors are actually Master class graduates from Galloup that went on to apprentice and teach for the school. They are very patient, talented, and concerned about the student's success, as well as very easy to get along with.

Students range from younger college-age kids to retired adults that have always wanted to learn this craft. There is a wide variation in lutherie experience, so the Journeyman course helps acquaint the students with the various jigs/tools.

There is a test at the end of the term covering terms, techniques, and guitar anatomy- topics discussed throughout the term.

7. I haven't gone through the program, but I've had Bryan do work for me and I have a couple of friends who are instructors. You can't go wrong with this program, assuming you have what it takes to learn and apply the knowledge.

8. tweed

tweed

Jul 26, 2012
    Classes are held weekdays from 8-5, and the extra seminars are held on specified weekends. Each student has their own workbench. The school has a long waiting list, approximately 6 months or possibly longer. If you're thinking of attending, I recommend that you apply as soon as possible to reserve your spot.

Overall I had a great time at the school. I learned a lot, I made great friends (both the students and the instructors), and it helped stimulate my interest in this field. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.