Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galveston 6 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1473001750

What is that weird shape right before the neck starts, on the body? It looks like a cover for a hole. Is that where you would access the rod or something?

I am looking at buying a more "strat shaped" 5 or 6 since I have a steinberger 5 and a AGB 5... I just kinda miss that body style and don't play my 4s anymore.

Also this thing is even cheaper than that musiciansfriend blow out bass... Pretty amazing! I wonder if it includes the whole bass or if they omit certain options... like the body, neck, strings, pickups... perhaps leave you with the knobs. :p

2. That shape is part of the neck itself.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Be a man, get the Galveston 8 string! ;););)

4. Or the doubleneck bass. :)

They also make a triple neck guitar.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, in fact, one of the necks on the triple neck is a picolo fretless with a detuner on each fretline!:D

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, and from a distance, the word "Galveston" even resembles the word "Gibson".:rolleyes:

Some people will say the dumbest things to try and sell something.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yeah, that was lame!!! But For this price, it might be good to get my feet wet on a 6. :)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Stay away, Gabu!

If you look on ebay, you can get a hardly used Carvin 6 for about $400-500 easy. MUCH better bass, and you'd never need to buy another 6 if you got a good preamp and some nice pickups put in.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have to go with Angus on this one. I have never played a Galveston, but I am guessing it probably isn't much of a bass. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

There are TONS of deals on Ebay on much better basses. I would personally shy away from a bass whose selling point is the whole "Gibson from a distance" thing.

But of course, I could be wrong.

10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
  11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, you could give it a try, I guess. The worst that could happen is you could hate it, but then again, you could also go out and spend $3000 on a bass, and hate that too. This way you are only out a little cash. And there is always the chance that you will like it too.;)

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here is an ibanez 6:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1473594183

That looks pretty good and carries a buy it now price of $400.

I am also planning a trip to Guitar Center, Carvin and a few Mom and Pop music stores in the hollywood area today... so we shall see! :D

Most likely if I am going to end up spending between $500 and $1000 on an instrument it will have to wait until Christmas.... But I am trying to educate myself on the subject enough that I can get a good deal on an instrument that I really like. Also, who knows... the GAS sometimes becomes unbearable. ;)

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    bump

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    bump again

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    that was me moving the thread to the top of the list. Sorry for the confusion.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Still, hold out for a Carvin. They're very common, and much better basses than the Ibanez or the Galveston.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I was checking Carvins in the paper and on ebay... it seemed that the ones I found were too close to $1000 for a used $1000 bass. But I will keep looking. I wouldn't mind Carvin because I like close to their outlet in Hollywood and it's a name I trust. But I have never owned an instrument that was that expensive before. I have been trying to get to Hollywood this last week to try some stuff out and get some ideas on what sounds good to me. (It's been a long, long time since I shopped for a bass in a real musicstore.) I think I should be able to go after band practice today. I would like to really compare a bunch of these mid-ranged price name brand instruments and see, hear, feel for myself the difference. Thanks for everyone's tips. :)

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Good call. Try stuff out, and see what works for you.

Should you happen to prefer Carvins, though, just wait until you do see one for the price. I've seen 6's sold for as low as $350, and about $400-500 is fairly common. Believe me, if you like them, then even up to $600 is worth it. It's much better to buy a $600 bass you really like than a $300 bass you're ok with.