galveston 7 string, worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Z0r, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Never played one but I've heard they're crap.. Go with a Conklin Groove Tools 7.
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Unfortunately, not very good .... I test drove 2 of them and was very disappointed in both the construction and sound. Follow Mark's advice and go with the Conklin GT7 :cool:
  3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
  4. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Conklin GT7 for sure!
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I will give them credit for making the first mass-produced non-octaved eight-string though, crappy as it may be.
  6. I had an 8 string (tuned in 4ths) for ~ 6months, for the money it wasn't bad (may be I was lucky). But very tight string spacing, the pickups and preamp were decent.
    But if you want a reasonable 7 go for the Conklin GT series.
  7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    They are also about 1/2 the price of a GT7...
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, that's a good point. If you don't have the $650-$800 (on Ebay), to get a GT-7, or if you're not going to use it for your main bass, maybe a $375 knock-off may fit your needs.
  9. At NAMM 2002, I saw the Galveston booth and asked if I could photograph a few of their instruments. The old fart at the booth said "no". What kind of idiotic company does not let you photograph their instruments ... at a feakin' trade show!?!?!? Good thing I didn't ask to try one. Anyway, I don't know how good they are but I have also heard that they are not so good. But, if you want to pay a couple of hundred bucks for an ERB, you can probably expect to get your money's worth.

If I were you, I'd save my money a little and wait for a Conklin GT7 to come up for sale. Probably infinitely better and not that much more expensive.

- Dave
  10. Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    figured itd be crap.. the ammount i wanna spend on a bass would be like 400-600
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You may find a GT-7 on Ebay for that range.
  12. Just save the extra money and get a gt-7. There's really no difference in saving for 2 months and getting a $300 bass and saving for 4 months and getting a $600 bass unless you really need the bass for gigs or you're the most impatient person on earth. :)
  13. Z0r

Jan 16, 2005
    hehe, by no means impatient, ive been debating on what new bass to get since xmas time or so.. times not an issue, just my ammount of moola
  14. DNote13

Dec 4, 2012
    the galveston 7-string is great, go for it if you are experimenting, but a GT7 for gigs. For jam sessions, the galveston is good. even so, its a 7-string bass for $200