Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galveston Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tufnuts, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Hey all. Just wanted to see whatca'll think about Galveston basses. Pretty 6 stringer for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631456987

Thing "Looks" quality. Could just be a case of cheap electronics and hardware. So buy it cheap, then replace pieces as you can. But I like a challange. I will not be bidding on this thing. Must stop that addiction :)

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I once saw an 8 (!) string Galveston, and it wasn't a doubled 4 string. It was indeed an 8-string bass.

I have always considered them a non-brand, meaning It's about on the same lever as Rogue basses, but I think they're working hard to be taken seriously in the market, maybe even on the same level as Squier!:D

Warning: Galvestons weigh exactly what their name suggests. Tons.

By the way, why isn't this in "Basses"? Miscellaneous only gets posts about the crappy non-brand basses.

Someone start a high end bass related thread in Misc, please!

3. Saw that one too.... seemed a little flaky. Just kind of a head scratcher

Heh, you're welcome.

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Yeah, I saw it too on Ebay. Almost bought one as it was so cheap. It looked as though the string spacing is too narrow for me. I emailed previous Ebay buyers of the 8-string to ask them about it - about 3 of them replied, all of them with positive comments - one of them said that you could slap it. Mmmm... the string spacing looks too narrow still...

Here is a pic of the 8-string:

[​IMG]

Here is the link to one of the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1458879967

5. Actually, my first bass was a 4 string Galveston. It was terrible. But it was not heavy at all! It weighed as much as a feather. Cheapass wood, you had to watch everywhere you went with it because if it tapped anything you woul dhave a huge dent (you can only imagine how bad mine was when I got rid of it), haha, the electronics sucked, the bridge sucked, and the tuners tore apart, and then I said to myself, "No More", so I got a new bass. And I now know never to buy cheap **** again.

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I have a Galveston 12-string...

Here it is in the studio:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The electronics do kind of suck; the "Active" electronics don't add any kind of tone shaping, they just make it louder. But I just use it passively, and the pickups are good enough for now. I'll upgrade them eventually, I'm sure.

But the hardware is decent, the tuners are good, and the finish is quite nice; although it's a multi piece body, you can't tell unless you're looking really closely. It's a little heavy, but not overwhelmingly so. And surprisingly, the neck doesn't dive too badly, despite there being 12 tuners on the headstock.

Galvestons are made in Korea by a major music manufacturer who isn't Samick.

7. Scarrsese

Scarrsese

Nov 19, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I dont know what inspired me to get a Galveston beatle bass. But it has really hot passive pickups and a thin little neck. It is extreamly light and fun to play unplugged as well. My one complaint is the nut looks like a five year old carved it with a butter knife. Really fun bass though.

8. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I bought one of those Galveston acrylic basses on ebay purely for the looks.

The bass weighs a TON, but it is fairly well-built for the price. Hardware seems decent and the J PUPs aren't terrible, though the bass does have an overall dull tone to it. I attribute that more to the acrylic body than anything else though.

Bottom line: for a $200 bass, it's much better than I expected, and a perfectly serviceable instrument. With perhaps a few upgrades (PUPs, electronics, etc) it could be even better, and for pure flash or gimmick value at $200 it's a much better deal for me than spending close to $2000 for an Ampeg Dan Armstrong.

9. 2x4strgkramers

2x4strgkramers

Dec 15, 2008
    Cheap gabage imports banking on the Name Galveston. Just more import crap. I have played all of their offerings at a local music store and found them to be lifeless,bussy,poorly finished,dead sounding instruments. Thats just the nice things I have to say,

10. I was considering one once based on looks, but after what everybody here said about them ... :rollno:

11. madmachinist

madmachinist

Dec 28, 2008
    i love galvestons...i can eat 3 dozen .best oysters anywhere.

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Gotta be revival record....until yesterday, the last post was 7 1/2 years ago!

Post # 7 - sixandeightstringer - 08-28-2001 09:20 AM

Post # 8 - Scarrsese - 1-18-09 10:14 PM

:D

13. JohnSS

JohnSS

Jun 4, 2007
    I believe Galvestons are another OEM brand that comes from the Samick factory. WHile I haven't tried the basses, I do own a mini jumbo acoustic and a dobro from Galveston. Both were MIK, and are excellent instruments. Have seen Galveston Strat copies from China that were decently set up and had ok tuners and hardware, but the electronics were their weak spot. If the Galveston bass in question is MIK, I think you stand a better chance.

14. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Galveston guitars and basses are NOT made by Samick, but by one of their largest competitors in Korea. Un Sung Musical Instruments Co LTD

http://www.unsung.co.kr/index.html

they are an OEM factory. if you look at their online catalog you can "identify" other companies they build for.

Galveston is one of the names their instruments are imported under. Carlo Robelli is another.

15. Scarrsese

Scarrsese

Nov 19, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I Wonder if the quality controll changed in that time frame? If so , it couldn't have been by much. I will defend my crappy Galveston! And thats rite............. I'm rollin it stock baby.

16. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    There is some mighty beautiful stuff on that site......

And the local shop had a used Galveston that felt pretty good, though I didn't play it through an amp so I don't know how it sounded.

17. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    i got the opportunity to play the 8 string, and it played very well for what it was. i did not like the pickups however. they just didnt have any zing to them. i feel with a nice set of pickups and a good pre that bass could be very good. it could have been a good bass of a crappy run though. who knows. at this price, it might be worth messing around with, but i have heard much better things about the brice 6ers from rondomusic.

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Had a pawn shop bargain P-clone Galveston that developed a slight neck twist after 1-1/2 years. Sounded good and played OK. When the neck acted up, the strings got removed + the neck put in clamps for a while. Then I pawned it to the same place I got it from....for about the same as I paid for it!

If you get one, just check the trussrod function and keep an eye on the neck.

19. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    5 baby
    yamaha rbx 774
    yamaha trb 6pII
    ibanez srx 695dx
    ibanez srx ? (5 string trans black on flame maple bolt on with cosmo black hardware)
    warwick corvette $$ neck thru bubinga 4 string (my baby)

the rbx and srx ? are going into the corvette $$ nt 5 string fund