Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galveston vs. Brice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snarf, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've heard some very good things about Brice basses, and it's made me curious. A couple years ago I bought a Galveston sixer for $300 at a local music store. I'm not at all satisfied with the low quality single humbucker. It's also very neck-heavy, and the string spacing is too narrow. I'm thinking of selling it and buying a Brice HXB-406 for $280 (http://www.rondomusic.net/hxb40635.html). I've heard they take some effort to set up, but I have no problem with that, I do a re-setup of my basses every six months or so anyway just because I'm insane like that. So, how do these incredibly budget-oriented basses compare to each other?

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Get the brice and change the pups to barts and even go 18v if you want. The brice will cost you about $350.00 for the six and they have real quilted and bubinga tops. Just frankenstien it. Call greg at Curbow 'an get a neck! ;)

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  4. My Carvin 4 String has a Koa body, and I get sustain for like an hour and a half. Nice tone IMHO too. Good luck.

Brian

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Umm . . . was that reply meant for another thread or something?

But off-topic, I do have a Carvin B4, mahog body on order. Can't wait. But anyway . . .

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Brices are probably made in the same exact factory as your Galveston (which looks fantastic to me). I would advise that it's not worth the trouble to change between them. I'd work on technique and amp/pickup settings if I were you. I'm perfectly happy with the tone from my Brice V2 sixer in my hands but you might hate it in yours.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think you should get a good SD Basslines HB and utra lite tuning keys. Keep the Galveston cause as someone has mentioned they're probably made in the same factory:)

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The Galveston may look fantastic, but it really is pretty bad. I should probably record a sample with it. Trust me, I've been playing around with eq (parametric and otherwise) on my Nemesis combo with this bass for two years now, and I can't get it to sound good at all. My technique is not what needs changing here. I've tried playing at the bridge, on the bottom of the fretboard, and everywhere in between. It's just crap. And I'm not some beginner on bass whose lack of understanding of how to play makes the bass sound poor. Do you foresee me having the same problems with a Brice?

9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I played that Galveston model and the Brice 406 quilt side-by-side 2 weeks ago ..... I kind of doubt that they are made in the same plant, and if they are there is a world of difference between them in terms of quality control. The Galveston was used (about 6 months old) and the Brice literally brand new, just out-of-the-box brand new.

I was very disappointed in the Galveston ... kind of like you said, no tonal quality at all and the fret work was really pretty bad. The Brice was typically a Brice, lousy strings, needed a set up, blah-blah-blah.

Without any persuasion from me, the guy who was buying the bass immediately leaned towards the Brice. They were both in the same price range, so it wasn't cost. He decided on the Brice, and after the mandatory set-up stuff the Brice performed well.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the Brice .... I can see why you're unhappy with the Galveston :scowl:

edit: BTW, props to Rondo for letting the guy do a head-to-head comparison in their store :D

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So it really looks like I have nothing to lose if I can get $300-350 for my Galveston on eBay. I'm looking at either the 406 with 35-inch scale or a Z6 bolt-on. I like the longer scale and the finish on the 406, but I also like the wider string spacing on the Z6. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Edit: Or maybe I could go all the way and get the ash Z6 neck through . . .

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    From everybody's comments I'd guess that the absolute worst place you could possibly be at the end of the transaction (assuming you can get $300-350 for your Galveston) is back where you started, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll be better off. Personally I'm extremely happy with my V2 Brice, both the playability and the sound. Again, you might hate it, but I love it, everyone has different tastes.

BTW the hardware on that Galveston looks exactly the same as that on the newer Brices, particularly the bridge.

If it were my money I'd let price be a big determiner in which Brice I chose.

12. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I was thinking about trading my sr5 for a elric gold 4 standard+$100,do you think thats a good deal?

13. I have the Z neck-through. I replaced the preamp and it made a HUGE differece in the sound. I would have never believed the pre-amp had that much affect. I just sounds like a completely different bass. The preamp was a "Wave Sound" little black box. I replaced it with the OBP-1 Aguilar.

Obviously that doesn't solve the string spacing problem. The Brice I have has 5/8 spacing which I really like. I used to have a 6 with narrow spacing and it was miserable.

I also agree that it looks like they are made at the same factory.

If you can live with the string spacing, changing the pre-amp may make you happy. Otherwise sell it.

Steve

Steve

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I actually asked Rondo if Brice was made in the same factory as Galveston, and they said that info was confidential. :meh:

But anyway, I definitely think I'll go for one of the Z Brices. Now I just have to decide if I want the neck-through or the basic one.

Is the Brice preamp serviceable? It does have a passive switch as well, and I imagine I'll probably using that more than active. I don't really have the money to replace the preamp.

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would guess that they wouldn't even know. They have nothing to do with who else their Korean contractor does business with.
    My older Brice V2 has no preamp, it's got active pickups and curious passive EQ (quite a strange combination, and the output is INCREDIBLY LOUD), so I can't comment on that.

16. Man that Galveston looks cool, I'd just stick with that and wait a while until you can afford to change the preamp. If you decide to go Brice you're just gonna be going from budget to budget (no offence to Brice owners out there), and you probably won't be happy with your decision. I'm sure if you threw an OBP1 in there it would sound like a totally different beast. But that's jut my 2 cents.

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's not just the sound of the Galveston, it's the feel as well. Fretboard is too narrow.

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Kind of goes to my previous point about Brice and Galveston being built in different operations. The necks are definitely different, the general cut of the basses is different (although the general appearance is similar), the nuts are different, the bridge is different, the truss rod plate is different, the headstock shape is different, etc., etc., etc.

There may be some commonality in the hardware, but both are Gotoh tuner knock-off's. There is a distinct difference in feel between the two brands. I would venture to say that Rondo probably wouldn't know, or care, where Galveston was made.

No question there .... but as everyone knows there are different levels of "budget" ....

19. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    MD
    I bought a Brice 6'er about a year ago and it was absolute crap! I have a few other basses (a couple of Conklins, Carvin, Charvel, Washburn) The Brice was an impulse buy for me. Anyway, it was the worst bass I've ever played. THe action was terrible, the tone was horrible, the electronics were crap, it was cheap and poorly made. I sold it within about a month after I got it.

20. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Did you have a setup done? The action on mine was Jamerson-like when I bought it. It's really nice, now.