Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Galvestone basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr M, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Have you ever heard of Galvestone basses, especially the 8 string? 8 string is not the 4 string with octaves, I mean going from low F# to high F (or whatever you'd like to tune)

I've seen some a while ago at ebay and they were going cheap... Have you ever played one? What's your opinion?

2. ACtually the reviews are pretty good. I'm considering their 7 or 8 string just to see if that's what I'd want after I get my six string...the double neck looks cool too...heh
    holy crap...edit....didn't realize how old this thread was. I was using the search option....eh...to contribute something.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Galveston/

3. I had one, and I hated it. The neck was the most unstable thing I have ever played. The fret work looked like it had been done by a blind 2 year old. The neck had sooooo many dead spots. After about a month of playing it, there were actually so many dead and buzzing frets that I couldn't play it anymore. I wound up suffering through one song with it at a big show I played and smashed it.

4. Nice story...oy......I feel bad about your stolen gear:( Hoep you find it.

5. Hey, thanks man. I have pretty much given up hope on finding it. Now I am just hoping that my Homeowners Insurance will cover it. They are trying to tell me that it was all buisness expence, so they wont cover it. :mad:

6. I've seen the title of the thread, moved my eyes below and saw it was me who started it. My reaction was something like: "What the f.., someone has stolen my password and posted it" :D .Later I discovered it was actually me who wrote it. I even don't remember I've posted such a thread.
    Well for Galvestone, I don't think I'll ever put my hand on some. They seem to be of low quality...

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have at least 4 Galveston products. 3 basses, 1 guitar. Two of them are great (a 12 string and 7 string bass), one is enhhh, the last one needs serious attention to its fretwork. To be honest, the two that are actually B flat (have really crappy fretwork) are the Lucite ones (I have both a bass and guitar). Their all wood stuff is actually rather excellent. The only thing that is consistently CRAP on them all is the pots. Even the pickups are good, but the pots come with what sounds like 3 lbs. of sand in them. Replace the pots with quality units, and give the instruments a good setup, and I think you'll find that they perform just fine.

They're made in Korea by the same people that make Jay Turser, Brownsville, Carlo Robelli, and others.

Like many entry-level units, QC is spotty. You will run across bad ones. Play the instrument before you buy it, or get it from a reseller with a decent return policy.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you absolutely want a cheap 8-stringer, go for it.

BUT, I can speak from my experience that Galveston is crap. I have a sixer with a (really quite nice) quilted maple top and a MM-style humbucker. The thing has zero tone, it's so thin and nasally. I suppose you could run it through a Sansamp or two and make it sound decent, but then there's the narrow string spacing, which is far, far worse on their 8-stringers. There are huge gaps on either side of the neck pocket. Fretwork is poor. Oh yeah, the body is soft maple, which is basically tone hell. Add to that the fact that the only way to adjust the bridge saddles is to take off the string, move the saddle around, then re-tension it.

The only good things about my Galveston are the pots (actually very smooth) and the figured top. But man, everything else about it is awful.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you're looking for a cheapy 6-string, there's a Dillion Avalanche bass on ebay for 279.00. Don;t know anything about it other than the fact that Dillion has a good reputation (FAR better than Galveston).

Has anyone tried this bass?

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've thought numerous times of ordering one of their 8 strings, or double necks, and giving it a real world review. The only non-upgradeable part on the 8, unless you can find a builder, are the PUs. Otherwise, Hipshot monorail bridges could be installed, new nut made, new tuners, fretwork done, cover the bat inlays, new electronics... sure, it'd cost out the ass, but still cheaper than a Conklin. Someday, someday...

11. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Just to point out - soft maple is not necessarily a bad body wood. Spector basses are made with soft maple bodies, and people seem to like those.

From the ones I've seen, these Galvestons seem to all be made of ash.

Peace,
    Martin