Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GameCubers: Anyone else got F-Zero GX?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Sep 10, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Great great game. Never played F-Zero X for N64, but I really dug the original for SNES.

All I have to say is that the new one is waaaay faster, more intense, crazier and of course harder.

Anyone else got it? If not, forget the GAS for a bit, go and get this game!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've got it...it's pretty awesome. And tough! I haven't played it as much as I have wanted to but hopefully I will get the chance fairly soon to really get into it. Very cool stuff. :bassist:

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    f-zero reminds me of 10 hour transatlantic flights.

me and my siblings would have like 3 hour long tournaments.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's out?! sheesh, I gottta go get it.

I've been eagerly waiting for its release, guess I was at camp when it happened.

yes! seizures and epilepsy here I come!:D

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    True words spoken in jest. Sometimes it's so dern fast that if you blink, you die.

Oh yeah, and even the Easy difficulty on Story mode has me wanting to smash my controller in frustration.

As I said - great game!!!

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I remeber the SNES one but havnt seen the GameCube one yet.

If its seizures and frantic action you want on the GC, Ikaruga is the game for you!

It also has a ranking system and at one point I was 34th best player in the United kingdom! Havnt checked it lately so dunno how I'm holding out :/

PS anyone played any of these (my entire colelction):

Mario Sunshine (Bring back 2d mario!)
    Resident Evil
    Zelda windwaker (RPG)
    http://www.robsgaming.com/reviews/fullreview.php?id=1405&theGameTitle=Ikaruga (mint side scrolling shooter)
    Skies of arcadia (RPG)

NOTE: linked titles go to reviews I published at robsgaming.com, check it out if you've ever time.

7. i played it at friends house

seems pretty good, little arcadey (then again it was developed in partnership with sega as an arcade game) but it is very fun.

i cant wait for the next mario cart (with DOUBLE carts :eek: )

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I also have Ikaruga. That has to be the hardest !@#$%^& game I have ever played... I can't even beat the third level.

I've seen Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil and Skies of Arcadia, but I don't own them.

Besides F-Zero, I have Super Smash Bros. Melee, Cel Damage, Ikaruga and Bomberman Generation.

9. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Whats yer highest score on Ikaruga on the challenge mode (3 lives normal difficulty 0 continue)? I maganed just below 5 million once :D The top score, last time I looked, was 33 million or so!

Great game though, definitly one of my faves. You should definatly check out skies of arcadia if you like RPG games, its prolyl the best on the gamecube (zelda was dissapointly easy and childish - although I did like the graphic style).

I'll try and get a loook into f-zero, sounds good!

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Mine's only about a million and a half, as I recall. I suck :(

SOA really does look good - as does Phantasy Star Online - but I don't play RPG's anymore. If I did, it'd be goooooodbye social life!

RPG's are worse than cigarettes! :D

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    YES! this game is TEH WIN.

I just rented it, been playing it for about 30 minutes. This is what all racing games should be like :p

very fun. Story mode is silly though

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Don't worry - it gets a LOT harder.

I'm stuck on Stage 3 - even in Normal, it's harder than Grand Prix on Expert.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

me too!

I can get 1st on the 1st and 2nd laps but then on the 3rd lap they always pass me at the last second! arg:mad: so tough!

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Hey, I've got a question for you Gamecubers...Especially you, Mr. Robot.

You kids with big hands, how do you hold the controllers comfortably? My hands have always gotten crapmed after about 10 minutes of gamecube playing. I can play Xbox or PS2 for hours though. :confused:

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I have the same problem - no fair, they get unlimited boosts!

How are you in the GP's so far? I've beaten them all in Standard except Diamond, and Ruby in Expert.

Only - I have small hands so I can't help you there! Isn't the PS2 controller even smaller?

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've always found the Gamecube controller to be very comfortable, I mean, my hands are big, but my fingers aren't that long, I just have big palms, It is uncomfortable to have a finger on the Z trigger AND the R shoulder, which makes some games a little tricky but I make do.

I haven't been playing the GPs in F-zero much, I beat hte first two on novice, but then got really caught up with the story mode, but inevitably as soon as I start playing, in that stupid 3rd stage I get too frustrated to play a GP or anything :p So I haven't made much progress. I only have it on rental, I'm debating whether it's worth $50, on the one hand it is very fun, but I despise games that give the CPU unfair advantages to make it harder, like unlimited boosts or just general faster cars or whatever, it's bad enough they can navigate flawlessly. And also the novelty value of driving at 1000 km/h(which is really not much more than 60-80 km/h just re-branded) IS kind of wearing off.

this is the perfect gamefly title, keep it as long as you want then just give it back cause it's bound to get old.

but then again, I guess that's every game :meh: which explains why I'm not half the gamer I used to be.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    whew...finally beat that stinking 3rd stage...and this next one is no walk in the park...an exercise in combat racing.

18. Thats the very reason I refuse to buy a gamecube :meh:

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

How do you hold the controller? The ps2 and gamecube controllers aren't that different in size...and in fact the gamecube is easily the most comfortable of all of them with the ergonomics it features and all. I have all three systems and the gamecube easily has the best feeling controller IMO. I also have the type S controller for xbox so I have played all that microsoft has to offer in terms of controllers. If your hand is cramping maybe you are trying to hold it too hard? I don't know I find that puzzling...

:confused:

20. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I can't verify the Xbox or GC controller hold at the moment because I don't have them, but I hold my PS2 controllers as follows: The ends of the "wings" sit in the exact center or my palm, I plant the knuckle area(the part one plays slapstyle with) of my thumb in the center of the D-pad (left) and buttons (right) and my index fingers sit right between the shoulder buttons, bent only at the first knuckle over the controller's outer edge, with maybe an inch or so between them in the middle. My middle fingers are under the controller at a little past 90 degrees each, touching in the middle. My ring fingers and pinkies usually stay loosely curled around the wings out of the way. This is all perfectly comfortable.

Man, I never thought I'd have to get so technical about this stuff! :)