1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gamer forum?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Do any of you gamers know of a good forum to discuss games?

I've been meaning to get more insights on the VR stuff, and there are sales on now in the Playstation Store, as well as the Steam Store.

2. Whatever you do, avoid GameFaqs if you like to have adult and mature discussions about games. The moderators are fairly lax and let thru a lot of stuff that most decent forums would not allow. You get a lot of people posting a lot of negativity just to be negative, i.e. the sometimes overused nickname (an appropriate approbation in a lot of cases here) of "trolls".
    As far as generic games forums, maybe look into Reddit?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have been playing Call o Dooty Infinite Warfare, and everything I read about it says it is crap. I am starting to agree. I should have bought Battlefield 1.

4. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I tend to go to a game's official website and check out the forums on that.
    I don't use Reddit much, but have come across some very intelligent and helpful posts there - definitely a lot more than I've seen on Steam, anyway.
    I don't know what sort of games you prefer, but check if there's guilds or clans or crews involved - a lot of clans play across multiple games and their forums will often been worth a look.
    'The Older Gamers' is one that I'd recommend.

Farseer and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. I generally do that as well.
    It's time to compare discussion boards for Age of Empires & Civilization V.

Farseer likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Here is a decent Civ forum - I have it bookmarked on my computer. But it is mostly for the newest games.

7. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    try civefanatics.com

9. Aaaaah... When I first read the title my brain turned it into Grammar Forum. My brain also severely misspelled grammar. I was going to suggest that TB is one of the best Grammar Forums I know. But.... Nevermind.

bholder and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Reddit, [H]Forums, or the Steam community.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

+1 the Steam community. I'd also +1 the individual game forums like Bioware or Bethesda. They ( generally ) can be relied on for decent info, just mind the "pro" guy that spends all his life in the forums and has only played through the game once. They can be a bit "Ivory Tower" in their "discussions". I recently had a fun "discussion" with a gent about Fallout 4, which I have over 1500 hours into in almost exactly a year of owning the game ( yes I love it, play it too much . . . ). He could not accept he was wrong about something so I took screen shots. You know, pics or it didn't happen? The blow hard never returned.

12. wow, that sounds like the bass guitar equivalent of me
    talkie but no walkie

time to plug in Doom 4 and see if I can finally make my way to the next checkpoint

13. I used to have good luck with the Playstation forums but haven't visited in a few years (stopped right around the time the site got blocked at work, weird).

I need to read up on Battlefield 1. Got it for Christmas and tried multiplayer last night. First time I've played online in years, played one match for about ten minutes, ended up with 0 kills and 7 deaths. I'm terrible.

14. I got a game that's all about online fights, albeit in an almost Mario Brothers or Donkey Kong scroll-screen layout and I get nuked by the other players every time. I'll have to build up my experience points fighting the easy bots first.

15. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    WARNING
    "Use of tobacco"
    LOL

16. Well, I've been at this new hobby for over a month now & I suck at it almost as bad as I sucked at trying to play bass.
    My reaction time is really slow, which is why I was so bad at sparring in karate class, unless you count being the universal punching bag as a good performance.

Strategy games will just have to be my thing. I wish there was a new Sid Meier's Civilization for the PS4.
    I've got Tropico 5 & need to dig into that more.

I picked up a bass today at the Fender dealer & it was horrific. I hadn't touched a bass or guitar in over a month & pretty much lost any tiny bit of skill I might have ever had.
    Heck, I couldn't even play the thing w/o it slipping off my leg or just generally being awkward, but I doubt having a strap would have improved things much.

17. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Have you tried some of the old-school RPG's like Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate?
    Good storylines and strategic turn-based combat.

crucislancer and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. PS4's version of Icewind Dale is Neverwinter. I've only loaded it up once, but I'll go back & have a second look.

The latest Baldur's Gate seems to only be available on Steam/PC.

Recently I had a devil of a time with Steam when all I wanted to do was change my phone number. There is basically no human support line. You can't get them on the phone.
    That really put me off of buying anymore games from Steam. I already deleted all the other games I had on there, including Rocksmith.

I thought I would be stuck playing Star Trek Online via Steam, but now there's a version for PS4. Happy Days!

Oddly likes this.
  19. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Online FPS rely on familiarity with the maps. I bought BF1 a few weeks ago & was getting chewed up, lots of 2-5 and a good round was an even k/d ratio. I started playing as assault with a shotgun, and focused on defending objectives. The shotgun has great hip fire accuracey, meaning that you can fire without aiming down the scope. This is usually enough of an edge to take down almost anyone with a machine gun, which the majority of players use. You will be vulnerable to medium and long range fire, so when moving between objectives make sure to go into buildings for cover/stealth. When defending an objective, try to find a corner or wall with good visibility and back up to it so your 6 is safe. If you manage to clear a couple of enemies from the same spot, find a new one close by and get them again as they maneuver to your old position. I also prefer the incindiery grenade to the frag, it can prevent an enemy advance through a doorway long enough for reinforcements to arrive. Only rank 15 online, but now an even K/D ratio is a bad round.

Baldurs gate I & II are available on iOS. They can be played on an iphone, but an ipad is much more enjoyable. My favorite rpg, i had it on computer when it had 5 CDs that needed to be switched out depending on which area was being played. Its 2nd edition rules, so if you play a melee class reroll until you get 18/00 strength ( or just set it to 19 if you play half orc).

I wish they had a new civ game for ps4 too.

reddit gaming is my go to gamer forum, with sub forums being great knowledge bases. IGN comment section is toxic.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  20. I appreciate this advice. I'm awful at BF1. A good round for me is somewhere around 5-10. My problem is that I'm having a hard time getting war bonds to even upgrade my weapons. I'm going to try your strategy once I can upgrade a weapon and go from there. I've always been bad at FPS games (and I don't know why I keep trying them) but this one is particularly rough for me. Battlefront is a little better but I haven't played much in the past few weeks so I'm sure I'm bad at that one again too.