Gamers: What's the best MMORPG?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Nov 3, 2005.

1. I'm bored and looking for something to consume my life for the moment.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm working my way through my own franchise on Madden 2006. I am 10 years into it right now.

3. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've played one game now for four and a half years. It's being rereleased world-wide in the coming weeks. If you're a history buff interested in the World War II era, it simply does not get better than this game.

The game is played in a half-scale map of Europe with nearly 500 towns and cities on a seemless map (no zones). It begins with where lines approximately were on May 10, 1940 than proceeds from there. You can play as infantry, armor, aircraft, ships, anti-aircraft, anti-tank. Heck, you can be a truck driver too (which is what I spend a lot of my time doing). The 3 armies (Great Britain, France and Germany at this time) all have their own player run High Commands which direct help to aid players in having fun and directing where the focus on the Front is at a given moment in time.

Note that this map is old. Much more modeled territory has been added since this time. The game is now on version 1.20 and the picture above is from version 1.8, which is from a couple of years ago, but it gives you an idea of the huge scope of the game. ;)

The game is pretty complex, has a steep learning curve and requires a pretty decent computer to play on (both PC and Mac supported). But, there is no leveling, like traditional RPG's. You do gain Rank, which can give you other equipemt to use or other abilities to lead, but there are no modifiers to hitting someone. A private has a good of a chance of making a 1 shot kill with a rifle as a Captain does, so new players are not at a huge disadvantage like traditional RPGs are.

The game is persistent, with a winner being declared usually after months of bitter fighting in each Campaign. There is also a research and development aspect of the game that introduces new equipemt as each Campaign progresses. These decisions are also made by players, not the developers. ;)

The average age of players in this game is in the mid-30's. A very large persentage are ex and current military people from around the world. It is a slow paced game, in that people need to group together and work together to accomplish anything. It's not a game for Rambo-like players, as you'll only die frequently and get frustrated. But those into planning and execution who also have patience, will find this game to be the absolute best game in existence today.

If interested in playeing, let me know. I can hook you up with some damn fine teammates on any side in the game (I play German). I may also have access to some demo accounts, but I can't promise anything, but I can find check. ;)

Anyway, good luck and have fun!! :cool:
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yikes dude....shrink that picture down.

5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've tried Everquest, Star Wars, and a couple of others not worth mentioning. I played EQ for about 3 years, then quit for 2, and am now back at it strong. While it may not be the best written game in the world, and doesnt have the nicest graphics compared to many others, it does have one thing greatly in its favor, and thats staying power. There is simply so much you can do, especially with all the expansions, that you never get to a point where you've just done everything and nothing is new. Of all the MMORPG I've tried at one point or another, and as much as I've been frustrated with EQ before, its still has the most draw to me of any of them.
  6. From what I understand, WWII online is great and fairly realistic, but the graphics are unacceptably poor. As a big Red Orchestra fans, I've been meaning to try it out, but I'm not into paying a monthly fee when it looks that bad. (I'm serious, it really looks that bad... the graphics are about 10 years old. I don't think that there is actual lighting at all.)
  7. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Sorry, but WWII Online is horrible. I tried it twice, and it just sucked. No offense to those who liked it. I've tried them all, and the best by far was World of Warcraft.
  8. EverQuest 2 or World Of Warcraft.

I played the EQ2 demo and liked it but have never played WoW.

Both got great ratings but I think WoW scored a little higher.

BTW. Get Half-Life 2. I just started playing that again. SHWING!
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I cant speak for EQ2, but WoW is a great game, it just lacked any content for once you reached 60. It was kinda like hitting a brick wall as my friends described. They loved it, for about 6 months, then it was over, just like SWG when it came out.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ditto, World of Warcraft.

It's really 2 games, the grind to 60, & then what you do after hit 60.

PvP Battle Grounds are maturing, but if you want PvE content, you've gotta join a raiding guild, go to Molten Core, Blackwing's Lair & Zul'Gurrub...
  11. Personally, I play Final Fantasy XI online. I've been playing it over a year now. There's plenty of content to keep me busy much longer, too. Although, I'm taking a break from it since my grades are slipping in college. :(
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know Role Playing Game.
  13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm not too keen on the MMO either but my roommate just got Far Cry for his pc and it's pretty sweet. Nice island style backgrounds.
  14. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

For Matt :)

And yes, Far Cry has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, and the game is quite fun to boot!
  15. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nothing on the PC can be nearly as cool as rolling that 300 sided die.

brad cook
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Unreal 2K4 online is a good game.
  18. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Or getting it to stop rolling :)
  19. Beat me to it, ive not played it much recently tho :p

HL2 is always good tho, and its like HL1 with the mods, if you get bored, download a mod, new game!
  20. World of Warcraft.

Very addictive