Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Games, Dames & Guitar Thangs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fclefgeoff, Aug 14, 2003.

1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I have been looking for a copy of this Eddie Hazel album for years. It is long out of print. Anyone know where I might be able to find a copy or is there anyone who might be willing to hook me up with a CD-R of it? I do have some rare stuff that I might be able to trade.

2. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

AllMusicGuide.com states that the above mentioned album, which has been printed only in vinyl, is a rare collector's item and usually "fecthes substantial prices."

By the way, the same web site has a highly detailed biography of Hazel. I must admit I had not heard of him, but his life is so interesting, it would make a great movie.

Back to the question of how to find that rare album. Do you know of anyone who deals in rare vinyl LPs?

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There are 2 EXCELLENT stores here in Providence RI, that specialize in Vinyl.

If you PM me Monday, I'll dig up the place, the have shootloads of records in there.( At my advanced age, I know I'll forget by then.)
    Worth a shot. Hey, I could buy it and lay a CDR on you!
    Thor

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Geoff,

I don't know your view on the whole mp3-sharing issue, but I managed to get the album as mp3s from Kazaa a year or two ago. Would never normally do this, but there was no other way for me to hear this (no vinyl player for a start). The sound quality isn't too bad, considering that it's been copied from vinyl.

A search of Kazaa Lite as I've typed this has thrown up quite a few Eddie Hazel tracks, including most of the tracks from 'Games, Dames...' - might be worth looking into if you can't get hold of this music any other way.

DB

6. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Hi all. Thanks for the posts.

Boplicity,
    E. Hazel's guitar style is best exemplified in the song "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic. He has often been loosely compared to a funkier version of Hendrix. Good stuff if you are a fan of that genre.

Thor,
    I appreciate your offer but it's not that big of a deal I guess. Also, I have no idea what a copy of this album might cost and I wouldn't want you to break the bank...;)

DB,
    I am usually not opposed to the whole file sharing thing. However, it literally pains me to listen to digitally compressed music and I usually try to avoid it if possible.:D

Thanks for all of your responses.

7. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I realize this thread is pretty old but I just wanted to let anyone interested know that Rhino Handmade is re-releasing this classic album on CD with bonus tracks....

You can order it through their website but it is a bit pricey (about $25 with shipping). I know that there are a few people here that would be intersted in purchasing this disc but you better hurry because according to Rhino there will only be 5000 pressed.

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the heads-up Geoff. Can never get enough Eddie Hazel.