Games Workshop anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jul 9, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just noticed that Games Workshop games popped up once or twice in the scale modelling thread.

I was REALLY into Games Workshop games at senior school (11-16). I played Warhammer (High Elves and Chaos Dwarves), Epic 40,000 (Titan Legions) and Necromunda (mostly Spyrers). I abandoned the hobby years ago but still have all the stuff in the loft.

Being reminded by the scale modelling thread, I took a look at the Games Workshop website - it turns out that I live only a 30-minute walk from Games Workshop's HQ and Visitor Centre! I might make a visit this weekend for old time's sake - apparently they have all the studio-painted models on display! (I used to drool over the armies in White Dwarf!)

I just hope I can walk away without falling back into the habit and coming home with a couple of carrier bags of kit!

Are any others into Games Workshop? What do you play/collect?
  2. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    I just started AGAIN about 3-4 days ago.

I play 40k and am looking to play a little Vampire counts and High elves in Fantasy land.

For 40k, I exclusively play Ulthwe' Eldar, which is why I could easily put together a 2,000 (generally the largest army point value, you piece together multiple "armies" for larger battles.) with the of the models I had.

For this army I have:

1 Seer council (comprised of 2 Farseers and 3 Warlocks)
    8 Howling Banshees with Exarch mounted in wave serpent
    2 Squads of 7 Storm Guardians
    2 Squads of 20 Guardian Defenders
    2 Vypers
    4 Shining Spears with Exarch
    1 Fire prism
    2 Warwalkers
    1 Wraithlord

I have way more than this (I know... ...its sad :( )
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I suppose there are worse things you could do. :bag:
  4. isnt that kinda like Dungeons and Dragons ? My friend used to play it but it was a lot money and i have better things to spend what little money i have.
  5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I used to play 40k a lot, Marines and Eldar, later got into Lord of the Rings, spent a one week blowout about a year ago building the Mines of Moria, and then stopped. :rolleyes:
  6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    oh yeah!
    I stopped actively collecting/playing about 8 months ago, but it's all here ready to go again for whenever I get the urge.

I play 40k exclusively, though I'd like to get into some of the other games. I've got about 4000pts of Space Orks and maybe 2750 of Dark Angel Space marines. I'd say about 1/2 of it is fully painted, so that's the big project I'd like to get around to sometime soon.
  7. Every couple of years I look into and become tempted by the Game Workshop's evil ways. The expense and the company's business practices always end up turning me away..

What I AM looking forward to getting into, though, is this: WH40K: Dawn of War, by Relic. They're the kindly chaps who made Homeworld 1 and 2, along with Impossible Creatures.
  8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I bought a fantasy Chaos Warrior army for a few years ago. I only got it about halfway painted and then I just lost interest after a while because I just didn't have the time anymore.

The things are obscenely expensive too for just a hunk of pewter.
  9. I remember, my old friend that was a boy used to play this one game. Runeattack or something.
  10. I was building my Space Marine army for Warhammer 40K but then I just eventually quit, due to that there are few people who play it, and it gets hella expensive after a while.

I also can't paint at all. Really, a 4 year old kid could do better than me. Eventually I just dipped them all blue.
  11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Well, I called in at the Games Workshop visitors centre. Quite an impressive place: a huge hall with dozens of gaming tables set up and a store with the entire range of models. I also took a tour (runs every hour I think) around their exhibition centre. They had a lifesize replica of a uruk-hai(sp?) from Lord of the Rings and lots of set-piece displays depicting scenes from the LotR trilogy. I was impressed by the two largest pieces of scenery that had on display: the town of Bree from the Fellowship of the Rings (complete with Prancing Pony pub) and Helm's Deep (HUGE!).

Of course, all the professionally painted models were on display as well. Pretty impressive attention to detail.

I can't see myself ever getting back into the hobby, but it was an interesting trip down memory lane for an hour.
  12. Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    I used to collect;
    Dark Elves
    Goblins & Orcs
    Various other models

Roughly £300+ worth of models but i just haven't had enough time to paint and play with them as much as i'd have liked. Shame really.
    I was told "You have the talent to be a good painter." but bass has taken over my interests :D