1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gaming console purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The only games I've ever really played after the early 90s were GTA. I had whatever Xbox was out when GTA V came out but it's dead now. I want a new console. My TV is 12 years old and isn't going anywhere so picture quality isn't that important if different consoles play better looking games. GTA VI doesn't have a release date but would all the current systems now be able to play it? It's gotta be in the next couple years. I hear you can download games now? When I still played Xbox that was starting to be a thing but I hear people only go into GameStop now for used games. Should I buy a used console from them? Are there better retailers that are more reliable? With an old TV and a not so fast wifi connection, Xbox or Playstation?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I was always comfortable buying from GameStop, new or used. Being a national company was the reason why, so I felt they were a little more accountable.
    Back in the day we had a few places around town that bought and sold video games and consoles. Everyone seemed to have about the same prices, sometimes the smaller independent shops were a better about negotiating prices since I guess they didn't have corporate policies to follow. But at the same time, they were less likely to have as much selection and access to new games and consoles.
    I was an Xbox guy, my son was Playstation.

-Mike

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    we got my son a PS4 on black friday for half its usual price. there may be sales on new years - i've gotten some great deals on new years' day over the years.

i haven't found that gamestop always has the best prices on used, but they can be handy. they also have some really good sale prices periodically - we got my son's PS3 there back a few years for a stellar deal in august of that year. i've also bought consoles at best buy, where they also occasionally roll out the deals.

MJ5150 likes this.
  4. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    It all comes down to the exclusives, which console has the games that you want to play the most because power wise they are pretty close, also if you want to play online you'll need a subscription 60? bucks, and yes downloading games it's pretty common nowadays:thumbsup:

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    We got our son a refurbished XBox One (1 TB) from Game Stop for his birthday last year, and have had no issues with it. Either the XBox or the Playstation will be great for playing popular titles, and both allow downloading games. You can also add apps like Netflix or Amazon Video for TV streaming. The main advantage to the XBox is that it is backwards compatible, meaning it can play the XBox 360 titles on it. The Playstation 4 (or 3) is not.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. I prefer the ps4 over other consoles but that's just my opinion. I've never been a fan of the controllers other consoles have but they all pretty much do the same stuff with the exceptions of a few exclusive game releases.

7. I was a total console gamer in the late 80's through the 90's and into the earlier 2000's, I have since not bought a console since the Playstation 2 which I only have a few games for and it more-so serves as my DVD player now. I am amazed though how far gaming tech has come though. I watched my brother play Madden not too long ago and if he was not holding a controller I could of been tricked he was actually watching a live game on TV the graphics looked so good these days.