1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gamut A plain gut. Good option?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Feb 15, 2016.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    hi,
    I'm playing a full set of Gamut gur strings: G lyon med, D pistoy light, A& E silver wounded med.
    What about an A plain gut? Somebody plays this kind of string? Pistoy or Lyon? Med or Light? What do you think: am I crazy to switch to a plain gut A?

2. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I've used a Gamut Pistoy A (IIRC unwound As and Es only come as pistoy) and it was a great unwound A string, better than the others I've laid my hands on. Very even going under the neck, and pretty damn clear for a massive gut string. I had the light gauge, and it was plenty big and tight.

That being said, no plain gut A is going to be as quick and articulate as a wound gut A. They are very deep, dark sounding strings that is very heavy on the fundamental and low on sustain. In general, I find plain A strings great for slap bass, two feel walking, and bluegrass. For uptempo straight jazz, I always found the A bottoming out and just being a little too slow to hold up to four feel walking at 250bpm. YMMV!

3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I LOVE my Pistoy A!!! :hyper:

As my man Hatey points out, you really have to manage your expectations. It's never going to act like a wound string, but imho the Pistoy outperforms every other plain A that I've tried by a very wide margin.

Joe