Gamut/Garbo -gauge?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by PaulChambersFan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I´m about to switch from Garbo D+G to Gamut D+G but I don´t know what gauge to go with.
    Do anyone here know what would be the most simililar to the garbo? Concearning gauge, tension and feel.
    And what is the difference between pistroy and lyon gut?

2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd go with medium on the Gamuts. The diameter of the Gamut D is a little thicker, but the tension is more evenly matched with Garbo than anything lighter.

I've only ever tried Lyon.

I currently use an Anima E, Garbo A&D, and Gamut G (medium). I have a Gamut D but I always get frustrated with plain gut Ds -- they are too thumpy and lack clear pitch up the neck. I think the Garbo D is the best substitute. A gut D may perform differently on your bass though. Perhaps the Pistoy would produce better results, maybe other TBers can weigh in.

3. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Feb 17, 2009
    Sweden
    Tjena Lars! ;)

Can't help you with the strings I'm afraid... You don't happend to have a used Oliv G you'd like to sell me?

4. Thanks Bobby och hej Peder!
    Gut Ds are always a drag, that´s why I´ve been using Garbos for years but my patience is running out because of garbos arco sound. And I need to try the real deal!

Peder -just one broken oliv G -take that as a lesson and set up your bridge for them before you put them on.

5. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Feb 17, 2009
    Sweden
    I see... do you mean widening the slot in the bridge, and perhaps also at the nut(sadeln)? Good luck with the gut strings, looking forward to hear you play soon :)

6. Peder:
    Yep, both of them.
    Looking forward to hear YOU play soon.

7. Hello PCF :) . Here are a few posts I have made concerning Gamut guts from the Monster Gamut thread. Please be aware that I only play pizz (bluegrass) and do no bowing except fooling around at home. I believe there have been some TalkBassers that discussed arco on Gamuts. You may have to search a bit. E-mail Dan Larson at Gamut Strings ... He may have an opinion on arco and/or give you some names of customers that do.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5666316&postcount=754
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6430781&postcount=808
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6451551&postcount=826
    FWIW ....... Here is a PM I sent to someone at TB that asked my opinion. Caution ....You know what they say about opinions :D ?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=2609274

8. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I find it very difficult to get a good sound bowing on plain gut, but see how it works for you. Olive is the best gut-core string for bowing, but we all know that they are problematic.

9. I've got the medium Gamut Lyon G and D on now. I just got but haven't strung yet the medium Pistoys.

The differences between Gamut gauges are so miniscule, like 0.1 mm. The "lighter" ones are a little smaller, but not much.

As to the Lyon/Pistoy difference, Lyon is made of two strands and Pistoy of three and uses a difference twisting technique. You can read about it on Dan Larson's website and in the TB links that Bob listed.

Hear, hear!

10. Dang .... BV .... You are just turnin' into a Gamut Gut Junkie Too Huh :D ? Good Luck with that. I think there may be a Support Group somewhere.

Sooo ... You got some Pistoys ? I like Pistoys. I just ordered a Pistoy Light D to replace my Lyon Light D (the only Lyon I have tried). I have Pistoy medium'n'heavy G's, medium Pistoy D, light Pistoy plain A .... Spread over two pizzin' old American plywood basses so far. I want to hear what you have to say when they settle down. I do find it humorous when everyone is asking about the "light" / "light+" / yadda-yadda / up to "heavy" on the Gamut guts ... Hell ... They are guts and dang-big no-matter how you cut it. I wager no-one could tell the difference in the dark ... the pizz-diff between a light G and heavy+ G Gamut Pistoy or a light D and a medium D Pistoy. Of course, I may be wrong (as usual) .... I have no couth ... And I don't arco. But I'm pretty-sure I like Pistoy vs. Lyon .... Even in the dark.

I think Afghani-Taliban 20K+elevation smack, Thai-sticks with maui-wowiee frosting, and 120-year-old Tequilia made from distilled agave / black scorpions / Mexican high-desert side-winder rattlers ... All of these Combined ... Might just be a less-expensive habit than Gamut Pistoys.

Edit ... I really don't know anything about those illicit substances anymore. I'm getting too old. I can barely handle a 12-Pack of Kokanee Lager anymore ... Plus I spent all my dough on gut strings, basses, luthiers, amps, speakers ... Better Habits Lately :D .

11. well, dang me, Bob, they oughta take a plain Pistoy A and .... well, dang me. and if there ain't a support group yet, then we can start one right here. :)

i got my latest Gamut from a TB-er located somewhere on the East Coast, i think it was New York City :eek: who bought it new and tried it for 15 minutes before deciding it wasn't his sound. so i jumped for it. it's a plain Pistoy A, used for 15 minutes. half price. we were both happy, i guess. i think i am, at least if the Pistoys are what i expect from having played the Lyons for a while now.

the Gamut Lyons have really settled in after 4 months. mellowed. they just get better and better. it's a full set of Lyons mediums, copper wound A and E. i love the sound, but they did take some getting used to. now that they are in my ear i play the gut bass whenever i'm acoustic or for traditional jazz. last night they went very well with a steel drum band. warm, round, full, organic sound. whether amped or not, they carry and project better way up into the higher positions, say up the G string, than the steel strings i've tried. The D is also nice up into position VII. Can't do much on the A or E above V.

i think i will string up the Pistoys later this year. unwound A, D and G. the "light+" D is a whole 0.04 mm smaller than the medium D, i just wanted to try it and see. really can't see any difference. maybe it will feel different under the fingers.

got any suggestions for an E?

Bill

12. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Hej Lars!

I've used Garbo E, A, D and Gamut lyon medium G. I'm currently using Garbo E and Artone gut A, D,G.

The heaviest of the gamut gauges are slighty thinner than the Garbo G. The tension of a gamut medium G is way softer than garbo. I would'nt know about the D string.

You can read about the differences between lyon and pistoy here

13. Thanks for your answears guys! It helped me alot.

AndreasH: Yes I AM jealous of the Artones. You must be the only one in Scandinavia with these strings.

14. I've become a Gamut user and I love the way it just gets better and better.

I tried the D & G Lyon that everyone seemed to like and found that the G was lovely, but the D just didn't cut it (on my bass), so I wound up with Evah Pirazzi D. Maybe it's just me, I have an easier time bowing the Pirazzi.

Anyone have any experience with Pistone vs. Lyon? I hear the Pistone is supposed to be better for bowing... yes, no?

15. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

It's the dreaded plain gut D dilemma!

In days of old, how did players like Paul Chambers and Oscar Pettiford get such good pitch definition on their guts? Was it their strings, their basses, or their playing? ;)

I suspect however, that these guys didn't expect to utilize the D string much in higher positions. It was more of a Simandl-oriented world then I suppose. Today, our conception of fingering possiblities have been shaped by steel strings and lower action.

16. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    In the recent BP magazine, there's an article on Paul Chambers where John Clayton wonders what Paul would have sounded like had he lived to explore the advantages of a modern setup, i.e. steel strings, lower action, easier access to upper positions. I thought that was an interesting perspective because we tend to romanticize the gut sounds of the "days of old". But it may have been that many of these guys were actually cursing the limitations of the gear they had to deal with.

Paul Chambers died in 1969. Did he ever play on steel? Of course Ray Brown made the transition and it didn't seem to hurt his sound any.

17. I complained once to a luthier about the sound of new steel strings and he said, "Ray Brown never went back to Gut strings...."

For me, I suffer from the higher string height. I 'thought' I had callouses before... I suppose the advantages of a lower setup do allow for faster playing... but the gut feels so good in the hands.

18. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden

Everybody seems to mention Ray Browns choice as an argument against gut strings. The choice of strings and setup should be something really personal; an extention of your personality. A tool for expressing music.

I think it's all about getting used to it. I really dig having high string height and thick guts. It really sounds the way I want it to do and it feels great. I can't play on a "fast" bass anymore, it really slows me down actually. ;)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021