Gang of Four, Wire, etc....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have really been enjoying these bands lately. Simple but catchy songs and good bass lines. Mission of Burma is becoming one of my favourites as well.

Are there any other bands in this similar vein that you think I should know about? The Rapture have a decent bass player, not all their songs are good, but there are definately some hidden gems.

So, anything similar to the previously listed bands that I should check out?
  2. The Minutemen, with Mr. Mike Watt on bass. The pinnicle of catchiness with excellent bass lines.

The Cure, obviously, although that whole goth stuff might not appeal to you.

Big Black, while dark, is really catchy. It's industrial before there was industrial...
  3. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    hmm.. early Minutemen?

And if you like the Minutemen, check out Agitpop, particularly
    the first two records which can be had on one CD called "The Comm 3 sessions".

The Essential Logic reissue ("In the Garden") might be worth a listen
    too. Very quirky and angular.

All pretty old stuff now. Dunno what's current in those flavors...
  4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have some Cure cd's and some Minutemen as well.

I am looking for some more obscure bands. Agitpop or Essential Logic, I have never heard of those bands, so that's what I'm looking for.

So more obscure that the Cure or Joy Division.
  5. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Check out the band "Eater"-
    Very young (15-17 yr olds) English band that came out of the
    1977 punk era-
    Same vein as Wire & Gang of Four, IMO-
    Check out either CD comp "The Compleat Eater" or
    "All of Eater"-
    Good Stuff!
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Lifter Puller
    The Homosexuals
    Black Eyes
    Les Savy Fav
    Liliput/Kleenex (originally the latter, but then changed their name to the former. Their discography is listed as both)

And maybe Lungfish.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you like Wire, you might like Elastica - Line Up is pretty much a direct lift of I Am The Fly.

Futureheads, Bloc Party are some newish bands that you might like also.
  8. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Magazine is my favorite post-punk band with good bass. Check out 'The Correct Use of Soap'...maybe my favorite album ever.

Simple Minds had good bass too...bit of a Magazine rip-off but still worthwhile.
  9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    ... and "Connection" by Elastica basically "Three Girl Rhumba" by Wire.

Les Savy Fav, Bloc Party, and Magazine are bands that I have CDs of, and I really like 'em.

Mission of Burma is my favourite band right now.
  10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Well then, do you have Swell Maps, Robotnicka, or Nation of Ulysess?
  11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004

Not currently, but I will be checking out all of the bands listed in this post.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Try Moving Units, their music grooves. Not really feeling the singer though. Very "The Rapture"-esque.
  13. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Make sure you get every Magazine album because they're all so different.
  14. The first four XTC-albums are great, and well worth checking out. You might also like The Fall, some songs by Nine Below Zero, and even The Soft Boys.
    And, as if to continue the search for bands that Elastica (a brilliant band as well) has "sampled", listen to The Stranglers.
  15. Mick Polaris

Mick Polaris

Jun 7, 2005
    You should check out the Wipers - old school punk but very very good. Also Bloc Party and Icebird are two good newer bands.
  16. Buzzcocks
    Jim Carroll Band
    ComSat Angels
    Legendary Pink Dots
    Modern Lovers
    early Midnight Oil
    Jesus and Mary Chain
  17. yeah, definitely. "the mayor of simpleton" is one of my favorite songs of all time. gang of four is great too.
  18. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I was listening to Wire and Gang of Four, I was also listening to Television ("Marquee Moon"), Pere Ubu ("The Modern Dance" and "Dub Housing"), and the original, John Foxx-led Ultravox.
  19. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I was also going to suggest Soothing Sounds for Baby, a now-defunct brilliantly weird trio from the Boston area, but they have apparently disappeared off the face of the internet. (Most hits for them turn up dead sites, missing sound files, or most often, links to the Raymond Scott album of the same name.) If by some miracle you should happen to find a copy of their CD "Thunk", buy it.