Ganglion cyst update

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, May 6, 2001.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have had a cyst on each wrist over the past 3 years. One of the reasons that I have them is from playing drums, but since I converted to bass last year, they have gone down considerably. the one on my fretting hand is almost non-existant now.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear the good report, Sean.:)

Has the doctor made you swear off the skins forever, or can you go back to them once the cysts go away?
  3. thanks for the update!

good news is always nice to hear
  4. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Can I pop them?? PLeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have an X-acto knife, and I KNOW how to use it.
  6. You're supposed to smack 'em with a hard-cover book. I had one on my wrist some years ago and my then 4 year old overheard the doctor telling me how they used to do that before (smack 'em with a book). Well, my son only caught part of the story, and that night, as I sat watching tv, he came up behind me and smacked me with a book - on the head! :(
  7. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was told to stop drumming in 1992, but I'm stubborn. :D The problems in my wrists, ganglions not withstanding, are the reason I converted to bass.
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I propose that a strict bass playing regimen should become the new standard treatement for ganglions. :D

In all seriousness, I had one on my left wrist and when I started playing bass it went away like magic.

9. XavierG, did the smack work ? You know how everything is connected (LOL).

BTW, I had a cyst removed the good old fashioned way ... a good doctor, arthroscopic surgery, a cute anesthiologist, and a night of throwing up from her anesthesia.

10. It must've worked! I don't have that ganglion anymore. I highly recommend the book-on-the-head method. :)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Xman, that cures a load of other ills as well!:p
  12. Well,this goes to show the benefits of being a bassist as opposed to being a drummer.(Even though you were a good drummer,I imagine you'll be an even better bass player.)Good for you!!!
  13. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    My friend, who is also a drummer had one. He had somebody smack it with a book, but instead the person bruised his lower arm! He eventually had it surgically removed, just to have another one appear in his other wrist. It killed him not to play drums for two months.
  14. No kidding! It works wonders with GAS too, Every time I feel a GAS attack coming on, my wife hits me on the head a few times with the heaviest book she can find, and, amazingly enough, by the time I regain consciousness, all the GAS symptoms are gone. Try it!