Gap between bushing and tuning peg

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brushfirewolf, Dec 2, 2017.

1. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Is it normal for string tension to pull the tuner pegs to the point where there's a bit of a gap between the top of the bushing and the peg? The gap measures just shy of 1 MM at the top of the peg. I feel like I've noticed a tiny bit of space before but this seems excessive:

View attachment 2830742

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What type of tuners are these? I don't see a nut. How is the tuner being held in place?

3. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    They're just standard MIM Fender vintage style tuners. There's no nut, just a bushing and the machine head.

4. Those are a press fit bushing type, found on a majority of basses under recent American versions of Fender. Actually most Fender style tuners are built this way. That looks like a MIM in the pic.

For the OP, make sure the tuner post screw is tight and the screws aren't loose on the mounting plate on the back of the neck. Some press fit bushings have tighter tolerances than others, and honestly it's not going to make any difference in the playability as long as the post isn't binding or has other mechanical issues.

J0hn likes this.
  5. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it's a MIM P bass I just assembled from parts. Everything on the back is nice and tight. It tuned up fine and stayed in tune overnight. The gap just scared me a little. The bushings were a bit loose as well so I used a bit of glue to hold them in.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Never realized that and I owned a MIM jazz in the past.

7. Next time instead of glue use some Teflon plumbers tape and wrap a few times around the bushing. It will tighten up tolerances and comes off easily without any permanent damage to parts or wood

J0hn and Garret Graves like this.