1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gap between fretboard and body, usual?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robin UK, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Well, i just got my warmoth parts for a 5 string fretless i am building, and i asked for a 24 fret extension. The extension extends maybe an inch off the end of the fretboard, but is hovering maybe 3 mm off the body. is this usual??? on my other two basses the board is basically directly on top of the body (both 24 fret also).

I hope this is usual and i just haven't been studying other basses enough, as i've waited a while for these parts, and i can't wait to build the beast.

Would have posted pics, but have nowhere to host them.

Thanks.

2. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Photobucket is free and easy to host pics...

3. It is normal.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I've got a Hofner Contemporary bass and there is a gap between the end of the fretboard and the body. That's how you attach the "McCartney Strap" to the body, by snaking it through the gap. A gap like that is norma for some basses.

5. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    Thanks guys, that's a big relief, here's a pic (will post others of the abss later):

bass004.

Thanks again

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The fretboard of my Sadowsky also hangs off like that...just not as much (21 frets)

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    that gap is for your pickguard...