1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garage Band vs. Logic Express - Sound Quality Difference?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Brian_L, Dec 16, 2011.

1. The subject says it all, more or less.

Assuming one were to use the same external interface (Apogee One, in my case) is there any difference in raw sound quality between the two programs?

I do covers with a remote collaborator using GB, and he has been thinking of stepping up to LE for a perceived sound quality improvement.

I think the issue is both of us are on the steep part of the learning curve regarding mics, mic placement, mic preamps, etc. but he has it in his head that the sound quality will be better with Logic Express.

As a side note, Apple appears to be killing LE with the price reduction of Logic Pro.

Logic Pro and MainStage come to Mac App Store | Macworld

TIA.

Brian

2. Same audio engine so what you will hear is most likely a placebo effect. We are assuming we use the same built-in plugins or otherwise a clean master channel with no extra plugins.

There have been thousands of threads where people compare ProKit to Logic and other way around and both sides claim their sound engine sounds better.

Frankly speaking I think the biggest obstacle to getting a good quality mix/master from any DAW today is the lack of audio knowledge or how to use the provided tools.

3. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    No, I don't think there's any difference in sound quality, just features. If you don't have access to editing and mixing features you want or you want to be using plug-ins and such, switch to Logic. If you're just doing very bare bones recordings and you want an increase in sound quality, work on your basics of tracking and mixing or improve the quality of your microphones.

I agree with ksandvik that a lot of people quibble over what DAW/Plug-in/Mic/whatever other piece of technology sounds better when they don't even have the basic knowledge and skills to use what they have effectively. You've get a heck of a lot more mileage out of increasing your knowledge of practical recording and mixing techniques when it comes to sound quality.

4. +1.

I'm not very familiar with Logic Express, but I think it's safe to assume that the quality is about the same. The options are likely the big difference (i.e. how many knobs each one has, how easy or intuitive they are, how they're set up, as well as what plug-ins are supported). All of the DAWs that I'm familiar with either use .wav or .acc files, and it depends on the quality of your playback engine and the bitrates of the files themselves far more then the program used.

5. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    20%-40% better?

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The only way it would be different would be if Garage Band uses some kind of data compression to increase efficiency, which to my knowledge it does not. Of course Logic has the option of recording at 24/96, but it's debatable as to whether or not anyone can hear the difference.

7. Nah. Just sounds better and it's all subjective.

As I said before, it's better to learn how to to proper mixing and mastering, especially know how the eqs, compressors and limiters work.

8. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
  9. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    I'm curious if any of you guys who are saying that they are the same level of quality would agree with me that you actually lose quality when you export the track from GarageBand? Even if it wasn't compressed at all, I feel a great loss in quality.