Garage Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Starburst, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Anyone else here remember playing in some garage bands in the late 60s into the 70s. I will be hitting 64 this year and it was a common thing to do back then. Just a bunch of guys with some musical talent getting with each other to try to duplicate the latest or older hits. Various songs were tried to be covered like Beatles, Stones, Creedence, among others. One staple was Gloria by Van Morrison and Them. It was kind like the garage band anthem. Sometime we played OK, other time we sucked but one thing for sure was we had a heck of a lot of fun doing it.

bound'n'blocked, MCF, Oddly and 4 others like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

My cousin lived right behind one of my best friends, cousin played guitar, friend played bass. I'd bang on some garbage pail bottoms in their basement & Suzy would sing. Suzy was the sister of my cousin's best friend & she was my age.

Once I got old enough to drive, I'd take little Suzy to school with me, until her brother Jimmy found out. We didn't have any more jams in my cousin's basement after that & my friend Dave moved to Hollywood to "make it" after graduating.

He tried to make it again much later in GA & now lives in Hotlanta selling real estate.

The cousin was an attractive young man & was quite the lady's man w/o even needing to play guitar. R.I.P.

Now when I listen to Joe's Garage, I lament that we couldn't have been like those guys:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Oddly, 47th Street and Starburst like this.
  3. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    I did see Zappa in concert once. I was amazed at how good he was at playing guitar. Very under rated.

47th Street and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I never managed to see Frank, but I've seen Dweezil & he is a virtuoso!

Starburst likes this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

That was the social/musical ritual for pretty much everybody; the musical 'talent' varied greatly, eventually the dabblers and artistically/technically challenged would drop out, some involved would move away, some would drift apart as personalities would develop(or not)in the transition from Jr. High to High School, music tastes would change, creating friction, and so on. Eventually, certain individuals were starting to 'get really good at it' and seek out others on their own level. Some went to college, some got drafted, some found better opportunities in other towns. Some died stupid deaths. There are countless LP's and CD's, following the 'Nuggets' template, of compilations featuring never-heard-of-'em local bands that had one-shot regional singles that went nowhere. It's really quite fascinating stuff, all the variations on a theme tunes that were thinly disguised rewrites of national/international hits. This stuff is all over YouTube. That era, from roughly the surf craze through Psychedelia was very special, and although the music got heavier and more demanding through the 70's and onward, the social ritual aspect hasn't changed that much, although now you have rehearsal studios, better PA's and gear in general, 'School of Rock', and so on. Plus parents that actually encourage you, as opposed to the usual 'I wish you would stop with all that foolishness, and think of your future. You're not going to be doing that sort of thing when you're an old man!' Well, mom, guess what...

47th Street and Starburst like this.
  6. Low Commotion

Low Commotion Supporting Member

I'm 62 and I can remember them well. And they were always in a garage too! Gloria was the first song that I learned on the guitar. That and Louie Louie as well. I had a Sears guitar and amp, and the guitar didn't play very well. I don't recall anyone having a Fender or Gibson, but it didn't matter. I think I was about 14-16 at the time. I remember quite a few bands back then and I grew up in a small town.

The bass player wasn't a very good guitar player and he did come from an affluent family, so he got to play bass. I remember the negative stigma that bass had .

I was a huge fan of guitar centric bands and Cream was right up there. One day I remember listening to Crossroads on the Wheels Of Fire album, and that's when I really noticed Jack Bruce's playing. He played equally great on bass as Clapton on guitar. Wow, I want to play bass! I told my buddies and they still rode me for even thinking that. Bass was always reserved for those that can't play anything else. I didn't make to move to bass until about 10 years ago. I wish I would have made the move back then, but it didn't work out that way.

Garage bands were instrumental for some of the finest bands today. I don't know if there are the same amount of garage bands around these days as there were when I was growing up, but I don't know if kids today are even driven to play music in a group. I hope I'm totally wrong. For all I know, my 20 year old neighbour might be in a garage band.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    47th Street likes this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Ironically, in those formative years I only rehearsed in a garage a couple of times. Usually it was in the basement or rec room; on occasion in the living room(while the accommodating host parents headed for the hills). "Rec room band" just doesn't have the same ring.

Starburst likes this.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We used to practice in my parents' garage in the summer and an old neighbor would always call the cops on us.

Starburst, Low Commotion and JimK like this.
  9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I grew up playing in garages, literally. That was about the only kind of space available for rehearsals where I lived. It never occurred to us that there would later be a whole commercially exploitable rock genre based on teen testosterone and very limited playing skill - let alone bands that actually would try to recapture that vibe. I mean, we knew we were crap, but we were having a good time just getting a few songs together. That A-G-D chord sequence was a big thing. Surprisingly, listening back there are some recordings that in their incompetence sound almost sublime today.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Starburst and Oddly like this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Jumping Jack Flash"-

First song we ever butchered.

...and, IIRC, we did about an 11-minute version.

MCF, Starburst and Low Commotion like this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Y'know, I don't believe I ever played in an actual garage.
    Sheds, bedrooms, front rooms, storage units, a scout den ... graduating to paid rehearsal rooms ... but never a garage!

Starburst, JimK and PillO like this.
  12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Garage" is a state of mind...Sheds, bedrooms, front rooms, storage units, a scout den? They all count.
    :)

Starburst, Oddly and Low Commotion like this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Oh absolutely, I get that.
    Just saying I never used an actual garage.
    I do wonder how popular they are these days...
    I live in a small estate - about 100 houses. Not one has a garage. About 1/2 never had one, and the rest have converted to gain a room. That's a very common trend here in Dublin, not sure if elsewhere.

In fact, I'm gonna post a poll just to see where folks use... Where do you practice?

14. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Jim is right, Garage Band is just a term to jam at someones house. We did it in rooms, basements,garages, Etc.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Well we have to thank your own Van Morrison who came from Northern Ireland for making Gloria the most popular garage band song ever. Every bunch of guys i jammed with back then did that song. It was catchy, easy to play to and very popular.

Oddly likes this.
  16. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Those were the good old days. I'm 61 now, and didn't start playing until I was 44. But back in the late sixties and early seventies there was a garage band in my neighborhood. My oldest brother played bass. We all hung out there. They played with the door open, and all the parents hated it. They played Gloria, Louie Louie, Love is All Around You, etc. The guitar player had a Heathkit amp he built himself. I went to a lot of their gigs, and even roadied a few. The drummer would let us play his drums in exchange for Helms donuts.

MCF likes this.
  17. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Pictures or it never happened? This is 1978-I don't have any pics from my "formative years"!
    GarageBand.jpg

Nashrakh likes this.
  18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I spent much more time playing in basements--especially in winter.
    But did do some garage playign as well.
    At one point there was a band that played in a garage that backed into an alley that was just up from us--we could hear them--they weren't too bad.
    Today you would know them as Pearl Jam....
    (Okay J/K--if they ever did make it anywhere I am not aware of that--never heard anything about it.)
    I never made it anywhere that way eitehr though--so no apparent advantage that way between garage or basement (whether finished, semi-finished or unfinished...)

19. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    When I was 13 in 1987 I got a guitar. I was awful. We'd all hang out in a friend's garage who owned a drum kit and try. There was always a half dozen guitarists available, and they were all better than me.

But there were no bassists queued up; matter of fact there was no bassist at all.

So I bought a bass. I may have sucked, but I always got to play. Fortuantely, my 40 watt bass amp couldn't be heard over a teenage drummer and the Marshall halfstack that lived there so it was easy to suck and hide it. :)

Our English teacher lived across the street. He absolutely hated us.

Low Commotion and Nashrakh like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021