1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garage EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Oct 1, 2008.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out with EQing for when I play with my budy in my garage. Like most garages it's all cement and Im havin a little trouble geting a good solid rock tone. Im running a GK700rb and a GK Neo 212.

Any help woul be appreciated, thanks. :)

2. are U getting a real BASSY sound?? Or is it giving a trebley ring?? Or neither just a echo-ey cr@p??? To cut thru (if bassy) cut down on yr bass , add some mids( if U got lo mid/hi mids- low mids boost slightly, hi mids boost more) & leave treb. flat.
    IUf a trebly room- cut treble, add some bass & a bit of hi mids & either a touch low mid or leave it flat.
    If the room is all echo-ey... U HAVE to dampen it a bit- use blankets/mattresses-ANYTHING to break up the sound hitting the hard walls. Hang thick curtains/blankets in middle of room &/or around edges!!
    Good luck

3. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    I heard that laying rubber mats under your cab when youre playing on cement helps preserve some low end, is there any truth to this?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Acoustic decoupling is a real phenomenon, however as rod said the hard reflections from the concrete walls and floor are more of a real problem; and the shape of the room is an even bigger problem.

You can't easily change the shape of the room, and you may not get noticeable benefit from decoupling the cab from the floor (in fact on a concrete basement floor I think there would be no benefit to decoupling, since that floor is not vibrating hardly at all).

But you can change the way sound waves are reflected in the room. I like to use bookshelves full of books/newspapers/etc., or heavy blankets or carpets draped over any kind of object like a drying rack, cabinet, old motorcycle, or anything else in the basement that you can drape a heavy fabric over.

You have to experiment with the placement of those bookshelves and draped carpets etc. until you find an arrangement that sounds less terrible. The placement of your speakers in the room makes a huge difference too, so experiment with different locations of the speaker and turning it different directions.

5. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    +1, a garage can actually be made fairly acoustically friendly with the right dampening. Agreed with Bongo, do some experimenting and you should be able to make it much better.