1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

garage find, need info please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jellikit, Sep 17, 2008.

1. jellikit

jellikit

May 17, 2007
    I haven't posted much here before but I need some help identifying a bass . I found this bass tonight while helping an uncle sort out his storage space. The story behind it is this. My uncle had several bands in England in the late 60's, early 70's. As band leader all the gear was his and if any of the members fell on hard times and found themselves without an instrument, he would buy them one on the condition that it stayed with the band if they left. He remembers buying this in the 70's but thats as much as he recalls. It was used for approx. 2 years and has been in storage since. I tried googling, but theres not a lot of info available. Hopefully someone here can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry for the crap photos!

Attached Files:

2. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    The headstock reminds me of a Hymen - honest! - not sure of the spelling.

Howzit sound & play?

3. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    At first I thought you were making a terrible dirty joke, but the control plate appears to say "Hayman" on it.

4. Eh?? :confused:

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
  6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Careful about searching for prices or hinting about selling though. Current policy changes here require you to be a contributing member to post things here asking what they're worth.

7. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    I wasn't trying to be funny, I remember seeing one in a music store in the late 70's and the name stuck. I truly did forget the spelling.

8. jellikit

jellikit

May 17, 2007
    Sorry, didn't realise that. I won't be selling it , I'm just trying to get as much info as possible so disregard the valuing of it . It's a Hayman 40-40 (I should have said). I can't find much on the net about it, I was hoping someone on here had one or knows a bit about them.

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
  10. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    That looks pretty cool, in an aesthetically dis-unified sort of way.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Wow, the body shape is incredibly similar to a wal mk1/probass.

attachment.
    [​IMG]

12. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

you read my mind

13. Hmm there are certain things about the look of that beast that are reminiscent of Shergold and certain things that are reminiscent of Burns...

14. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I would love to know why the Wal body shape is so close to this Hayman.

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I've got a Hayman 40/40. Nice bass. Some very cool tones and design. I've always liked the zero fret. I got mine for about $400 a few years ago. I've seen them sell in the $700 range lately. That one is in very good condition and the sunburst is fairly unusual, you might get closer to $1000. In Europe, I'd expect they'd go for a bit more.
    HOWEVER, there isn't a big market for them, so it might take a while to sell. I mean a long while.
    Hayman stopped manufacturing in the early mid '70s and became Shergold. I think Mr. Burns was involved in both companies.