Garage Insulation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I keep my amps in my garage, so I was thinking about getting one of the insulation kits from Home Depot or Lowe's to use on the door to try and keep the garage from getting too cold in the winter/hot in the summer.

Anyone use one of those kits? How'd it work out? Easy to install?

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Which kit are you referring to?

-Mike

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ah. Yeah, for that price it'll help.
    I'd also be concerned with ensuring the seals are all tight around the door and the ground.

-Mike

slobake likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    How about the space on the sides?

Is the rest of the garage insulated/dry walled? Or heated?

6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Depends a lot on the rest of the garage - insulating a garage door is inferior to a garage door built insulated (maybe half as good if you do a good job), but either is a small cork in a large pipe with a garage that's uninsulated and perhaps also has single-pane windows, an uninsulated slab, etc.

Garages are commonly cheaply built, and that makes them expensive to retrofit to a degree of usefulness.

I think someone had a project posted where they took the more practical/affordable/effective route of building a well-insulated box just big enough for the amps, and ran a small heater in that box over the winter - the box being in the (typical uninsulated, unheated, expensive to retrofit) garage.

-Asdfgh-, tlc1976 and Stumbo like this.
  7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Just as an aside, if the garage has any fossil fuel fired devices like a water heater or furnace, code requires there be unrestricted air vents. It might also be related to whether the garage is attached to the house, or detached. Usually there's one vent near the floor and another one above it near the ceiling or rafters.

slobake and Stumbo like this.
  8. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    There is no point unless you are heating it.

tlc1976, DirtDog and sharkbait130 like this.
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I installed one of those Home Depot kits on a 3 car garage two years ago...one double door and one single door. Ordered them on line and they shipped to my door.
    They work great, improve the climate control a lot, and are super easy to install. All you'll need is a measuring tape and a sharp utility knife. I'd do it again if the need ever arises.

10. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    If the garage shares a common wall with the house, and the garage is reasonably well insulated, it might stay surprisingly warm. The coldest my garage has ever gotten is about 40 when the outside temperature was in the teens for a few days. Water heater and/or furnace in there will contribute too.

Detached and no heat source will probably be fairly pointless though.

tlc1976 likes this.
  11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    What's the volume of amps? Would it be more cost effective to build a set of insulated storage spaces within the garage, with methods to control heat and humidity rather than the whole space? I suppose as an alternative a dead but we'll insulated fridge or freezer might be a starting point, in terms of insulation, depending on amp size.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just had a pair of insulated doors installed in a garage that's not insulated otherwise. In the recent 30-degree weather, it perhaps increased the temp inside the garage 5 degrees. Better than nothing, but hardly a radical change.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    The whole envelope needs to be properly insulated if you want it to really work at all. Add heat, too. Really.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Pilgrim likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Yep. Especially the concrete floor.

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  15. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I've thought of doing something like this for other things, a 60w light bulb would probably suffice. Like a place to leave painted parts to dry when it's too cold out otherwise.

Is your garage free from critters? I'd be leery of keeping amps in a place where bugs and mice can find a home and destroy them.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Is this a finished/attached garage?

17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I have had one in my garage for several years. It does seem to help. I also have the attic above the garage insulated with foam.

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    60W incandescent, not 60W equivalent LED :). There are probably options for incubating eggs or lizard tanks that might be workable, if set to a low enough temperature.

19. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    The best bet - if the cables will reach, put your network router or hub or some such thing you run 24/7/365 anyway in there (maybe take it out in summer time.) I don't like incandescents as heaters due to fragility, even though I can easily come up with multiple ways to improve that - if you can't get a power waster you already run to make the heat, there are small heaters made for the job that are more robust - the one that's the "Band-Aid" of its kind is "Goldenrod" and everybody's piano had one to keep the summer humidity at bay when I grew up. But they are kinda spendy, and if you have hot electronics you run anyway, you don't pay any more to use the heat off them.

With good insulation 60W might be overkill, too.

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021