Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GARAGEBAND anyone?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joenok, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I just started fickeling with garageband, but I have some questions.
    -How do you connect your gear?
    -How do you convert finished tunes into MP3?

Hope someone can help me, I can´t get out of my chair this is so much fun-... :hyper:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Connecting your gear. For a year I used a $5 radioshack adaptor Quarter Inch --> 1/8 inch. Garageband has software amplification so you don't really need much more than that. I recently upgraded to a nice firewire audio interface, which definitely sounds a lot better, but the adaptor should suit you fine. Use the adaptor to plug into your computer's external mic/line input. Some iBook models don't have one, if that's the case, you'll need to get an audio interface or USB line input.

Once you have plugged in make sure you have OS X's sound preferences set to 'external line in' instead of 'internal microphone' , then just make a new track, set it to 'real instrument', turn monitoring on, and play!

Converting your tunes to .mp3 is really easy. Just export the tune to iTunes as a .aiff file, a playlist will automatically be created to store songs that you import from garageband "your name's playlist" Then you just select the file and convert it to .mp3(or .aac) from within iTunes.

Once you have the .mp3 you can goto www.iCompositions.com to host it and have people listen to it.

3. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks! :bassist: Playing all the time now.

But there is only one thing I can´t get right.
    How do I convert files to mp3, in iTunes? I´ve looked through the menus but I can´t find a way.
    So now I´m able to burn them to a CD, but I do need them to convert to Mp3.

Thanks for the help!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Select the file(s) you want to convert then goto ADVANCED -> "Convert Selection to ________" If it says anything other than .mp3 goto the preferences and click the "importing" tab and tell it to use the .mp3 converter.

5. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks, Robot. -You´ve made me a happy (yet unsocial) man!
    I just love to play around with this program
    -I will try to post a song when I´m done.
    I´m ordering a Mac Mini soon, I hope there is a Mic input! It certainly does not look like there´s a jack on the back.

THANKS! :D

6. Yep, the audio socket on the Mac Mini is headphones/audio out only. Best to use a firewire or USB audio interface with these little beasties.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Old thread, I know, but after using Digital Performer for years on my downstairs machine in the music room, I've started fooling around with GB in the past few weeks. It's an amazingly powerful and intuitive program for what it does. I just bought/installed my first "jampack" today, and am very impressed with the flexibility of the material it contains. I think I'll be using GB for sketchpad kind of stuff, then doing the real dirty work in DP. Kudos to Apple and Garageband!

8. its not a bad little program. While it does lack a few indepth features, it is a great program for anyone looking to record some music :) I will probably be upgrading to logic or possibly the new apple audio program TBA but for now, GB works great!

9. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Is there a programmable drum machine for GB? I have found iDrum but it gets some not so hot reviews at Amazon, really dismal in fact. Is it that bad? Anyone have any experience with this?

10. garageband rocks! very cool program.

i've heard of the bad reviews for idrum too. but i played with it once at macworld and almost bought it as it seems like a great program. maybe the gripes were about a previous version?

11. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I love GB.
    When I have an idea that I want to record fast , it's the easiest way.
    Then I work on it for real in DP.....