1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GarageBand as a pre-amp....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chadhargis, Apr 17, 2010.

1. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've got an M-Audio interface that allows me to record my bass in GarageBand.

I started playing around with it and using some of the effects in GarageBand. Compression, echo, reverb, EQ, and applying various other effects to it. I run my Mac's sound into my home theater system which has two 12" subs hooked up to it.

I have to say, nothing sounds as good as my bass running though this setup. It's deep, clear, wonderful sound that I can sculpt in just about any way I want. Wanna sound like Bootsy Collins, then use the "Funk bass" effect and VIOLA! you got it. GarageBand even has a noise gate which is very cool.

Anyone else try this?

2. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    In my area I've seen several musicians doing this, including one entire band. I've thought about it, but generally what I see going against it for me is:1. I'm a PC guy. 2. I don't think I like the risk of having my laptop on stage. I'd prefer to stick to rugged-cased, dedicated music gear. 3. Someone stealing my laptop would potentially get a lot of things more important to me than a preamp or pedal.

That being said, the thought intrigues me quite a lot and I've thought of going that route for home practicing since I don't always have one set up at home. Much of my gear goes from gig to storage and back again.

3. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Being a new player and having never played a gig, I never really thought about it in that way. Sounds great in my basement though. :)