Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Garageband Gear

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys (+ Girls),

Just got my 1.8ghz/1.OgigRAM IMac and it's pretty nice. I got a chance to play around with Garageband and it seems like an easy way to make some simple music on the computer.

I just ordered an M-Audio USB interface (the FastTrack) from Sweetwater, as I think it will be a toy for me and not the focus of any serious recording efforts.

Can anyone recommend anything else I might need to get started screwing around with Garageband, etc.?

Will

2. EmilyDaisy

EmilyDaisy

Dec 28, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you know the little keyboard function you can use to play the track voices? I got a keyboard with midi in/out, that plugs in to my ibook via usb, and you can control the voices much better, like a regular keyboard without any extra software. I love playing with garageband and a keyboard. I recommend a keyboard that is pressure sensitive, too. I have the yamaha PSR-273, but mac also makes some other keyboards. but thats just a matter of preference really.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iCompositions has put together a nice page dedicated to various tools for garageband from software to hardware.

here

But really, the beauty about garageband is that you don't really need *any* gear to 'screw around' with it. You can juggle and modify and work with loops if you lack a keyboard and input. Or, for $5 you can get an adaptor to plug your bass(or guitar, or mic or whatever) into your computer and "screw around" with live audio. Then, if you wan more control, you just need a keyboard.

Don't get anything too flashy though, cause Garageband doesn't support lots of knobs and stuff, the m-audio keystation 49e is a great keyboard for garageband.