1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garageband or Logic Pro 8?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Duck Stab, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hi there. I'll hopefully be going to a music college after high school for bass studies, and will have to get a macbook pro. For recording and arranging songs should I go with the standard Garageband application or buy Logic Pro 8 to get "pro" sounding recordings? Thanks

2. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    Garageband is VERY basic. As far as I know, you can only arm one track for recording at a time. It's good if you just want to record an idea, but for full fledged recording, look elsewhere. I have some recordings done on garageband on my myspace. I recorded my acoustic through the mac's onboard mic so the quality isn't stellar, but it's good enough to get an idea down.

Here'sa link to my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/brianplaysgarbage

3. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    Actually you can use Garage band for recording a band and multiple tracks, I did that before I started with Logic.

I think the question you need to ask is, if you want to use a very simple app, then use GB, if you want to expand and do more down the road, use Logic.

you can always import GB's stuff into logic anyway.

4. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    You can record more than one track simultaneously? How? I've been wanting to record some rough demos with my band but I'm gonna need about 4 tracks for the drums.

5. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    well I'm in doubt if it's possible... but I do remember(vaguely) seeing a promo video which said that it was possible...(i'll look into it..)

edit: found it... click for video
    near the end, he's recording 8 tracks at once "with garage band you can record 8 tracks at once, you need a multitrack blablablabla...."

6. I recommend the third, in-between choice: Logic Express.

It's only $199 versus the $499 of Logic Studio. It gives you many of the features of Logic Pro (probably all that you will want/need). GarageBand is cool but it will only whet your appetite for Logic. Besides all the extra instruments and synthesizers, the biggest differences I like about Logic over GarageBand are the ability to import/export MIDI and the ability to display/print tablature on scores.

7. GB has been able to do multitrack recording for at least the last two versions. Works like a champ. You just use extended select to arm multiple tracks. If you are worried about CPU overhead then set the tracks to "No Effect" so you aren't applying plugins in real time. GB has it's shortcomings, but it can produce some results that are "over its head" once you spend some time with it.

DS, if you are thinking about using an application for your studies then be sure that you can use standard notation for both entry and output. It will be the best move you make. Being able to work with notation is still a big part of most curricula and all the nice virtual instruments in the world won't help if you need to provide charts for an ensemble.

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    GarageBand has more power than most know and it isn't as resource hungry as Logic. GB comes with lots of loops and samples so creating tunes is easy. I have moved to Logic Pro and excellent program, but big learning curve. Logic Express is a great deal for the money, but I would put at least 2GB RAM in your MBP and 4GB if you can.

9. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    I would stick with garage band for now, once you get a hang of it then you might want ti think about moving to logic, but it's a hella expensive program, and well lets just say publicly traded "free" copies, are hard to crack :p

10. use garage band it is free.

and when you decide to buy logic.

Logic will directly import your GB files

11. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    +1 to everything that was said

12. false404

false404

Aug 14, 2005
    Garageband started as a "one man band" type app, which only allowed for one recorded track at a time, but that has changed over the years. Their focus seems to be changing to podcasting lately, but they have added multitrack capabilities as well. My band uses Garageband on a Macbook Pro with a Motu 8-port firewire interface to record practices and demos. It handles 8 simultaneous inputs just fine. There are also a lot of built in effects (I love the visual eq) and loops to practice with to boot. My vote is for using Garageband until it doesn't fit your needs anymore. :bassist:

13. first of all, thanks to everyone giving advice. it has really helped.

false404, about the Motu 8-port firewire: can you plug 8 different mics/instruments in at once, plug it into the computer via 1 firewire cable, and control the sounds for each instrument as a separate track? I didn't know you could do that with just one fire wire cable.

14. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007

Yup

Heck, you want to have fun, get a laptop with an optical input :)

(I'd love to do that with my Firestudio/Digimax to my macbook)

15. false404

false404

Aug 14, 2005
    Yup, that's pretty much how it works... 1 firewire cable going to the laptop equals 8 inputs for Garageband. The MOTU is a little spendy, but it's a great piece of gear.

16. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    You've got garageband soo use it and see how you get on. You almost certainly will outgrow it, but have a look at Logic Express - it does everything I can imagine, and is way cheaper than the full version. I think the limitation is you can only run live audio tracks but for recording/arranging you're going to be using lots of midi anyway, so it won't be a limitation.

Also check on ebay - I picked up a legit copy of logic express 7 for about $50. If I ever feel like upgrading I can py the upgrade price and still save money on the LE 8 sticker price. (did the same with final cut - full original disks, license codes, box + manuals). The Express->studio upgrade is no more expensive than going straight to studio.

Ian

17. Start off with Garageband. Get used to the way routing and recording works and then upgrade later. I know through Apple with a student discount you can get full blown Logic for as little as $150.

18. Do not buy the academic version of Logic (Express or Pro). They cannot be upgraded. It's not worth the small one-time savings.

Logic Express is $199. The academic version is $179 (you save $20). However, when they come out with a new version, the regular version can be upgraded for $99. With the academic version, you are stuck; you will have to shell out another $179 (or $199 for new regular version) for the next release and you end up $60-$80 in the hole. :bawl:

19. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here

....yeah , I kind of gave up because of this.
    Moved to DP....