1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garageband or Logic Pro 8?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Duck Stab, Mar 14, 2008.

1. +1 Also, you can upgrade to Studio down the road by simply paying the price difference between the two. No penalty. Express has everything you really need for writing and arranging and is missing some of the features in Pro that you really won't need right away like extra software instruments and plug-ins/soundtrack pro, etc... Again, if you find you need those, you can always upgrade for no penalty though. I'm using logic express 8 with a MOTU 828 and it's everything I need right now.

2. 8 is much more user friendly. Everything makes sense now as opposed to 7 and previous versions. I've picked it up pretty quickly and had no previous experience with computer based DAWs - well, not on that side of the board anyway.

3. Bullet-Bob

Bullet-Bob

Aug 20, 2005
    Folks:

I just got a mac book and it comes with Garageband. We have a gig lined up for Saturday, so I am trying to get up to speed on how to record quickly.

Our band is a three piece, guitar, bass drum. Basic setup with DI or line in to a board, which outputs to a woofer and two speakers.

There is a place on the board to plug in an RCA type cord.

I have an RCA ended cord which I use to play my ipod on my stereo. Is this the correct cord to use?

I am sorry to ask such basic questions, but this is all entirely new to me.

Also, can anyone point me to a good FAQ or demo on how to set it up to record my band?

Thanks
    Bob

4. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm going to throw another option at you. It may be for you it may not.

If I knew now what I knew then.......If recording is something you seriously want to do in the future, go ahead and get a protools setup. I have used GB, Logic Express, Audition and Sonar in the past. None of these programs are as intuitive as Pro tools. My advice is to start out with this software, if you ever get really serious about recording you may end up there anyway.

The advice for buying the MOTU 8pre is a still great advice. If you decided to go the pro tools route later, you could connect it via ADAT to a 003 and have one badass setup.

I would check out Recording.org, they have great resouces for beginners. There are some good folks over there that will be happy to help.

My .02 cent.

5. Bullet-Bob

Bullet-Bob

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you.

I appreciate the advice!

6. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i'd say garage band is fine for anything you might be using and with all the neat stuff you can get for it makes it a great learning tool.

I'd get a good handle on that first, then decide to get logic pro if you absolutely need it or if your planing on doing anything professional.

And logic is very expensive, and hard to find cracked versions on the infoweb.

7. Bullet-Bob

Bullet-Bob

Aug 20, 2005
    After looking at the demo, it appears that I should be able to record the entire thing through the sound board/mixer using the RCA cord.

I don't have to run each instrument separately since I can simply record via the board right?

8. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    could you do that with usb?

9. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    the optical input would replace USB...hell, it'd be like USwho? Firewha?

:hyper:

10. Correct. You would simply be sending a stereo mix to your PC, so you would be recording two tracks at a time in Garage Band. Just make sure you get a good stereo mix. If you have a board with a USB output (Lots of inexpensive boards have this feature now), that would be a little better option.

11. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    I meant could Garageband tell the separate tracks through a usb and not just a firewire.

12. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    oh yes, USB and FW are just a means/conduit to connect the device to the computer. the cables just transmit the data.

13. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    sweet I just didn't know if the type of conduit changed anything.

14. The RCA outs on your board are the stereo mix, and will simply send right/left signals, NOT individual instrument signals. The best you can do with this system is mix everything as well as possible on the board and send the stereo mix to the PC through the RCA - USB cable. Your board probably has tape sends for each instrument so you can send a different mix to the tape out than you do to the front of house.

15. indemnitypop

indemnitypop

Apr 12, 2008
    Just to note/make clear, in order to record more than one track at a time in any recording suite, logic, GB, protools, etc. you need a separate piece of hardware, something that accepts multiple instrument/mic inputs and sends them out through a cable to your computer. Some cheap ones can be found for less than 100. I've heard to stay away from the m-audio stuff. I had one and it hisses like crazy no matter what is running through it, and others have given me the same report about theirs'.

16. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    My fast track pro has treated me very well, had no problems with it at all and I'm running it under windows (kind of shocked about that actually)