1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garbage picked Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulieRam, Mar 6, 2016.

1. PaulieRam

PaulieRam

Mar 6, 2016
    I saw an old guitar case on top of pile of junk on our local bulk garbage day. I thought the case would be empty but it wasn't an an Ibanez Bass in it. It's an Ibanez Roadstar II that is blue with gold hardware and all I can tell from the mid-80s. I typically play guitar for fun but it was asked to play with some guys in a band on bass. Can anyone tell me specifically about this model? I'm no pro but it seems to play well. Also are there parts available for this as it has no backplate? I hate gold hardware but for some reason it actually works with this color. I'm debating buying a new bass and just wonder do I keep this one? sell it? I hate to be a hoarder but it's in my nature

Attached Files:

2. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    You found what looks to be an all original Ibanez mid 80's RB 960, in a dumpster? Serious?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Sirui, carsbybigd, BioWeapon and 14 others like this.
  3. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    What do the strap buttons look like? Are they triangular?

4. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    That's insane.

5. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    It's an '84 rb950ms

6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Excellent! Made in June 1984. I think that may be Cosmic Blue. Google Ibanez and you'll probably find more. You may just have to make you a cover for the back. Again, you done good.

karl_em_all and lancimouspitt like this.
  7. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    That's one hell of a score!

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'd put a new backplate on it, cut one from wood or plastic (go to a hobby shop for the latter), and I would clean the thing up and rock it. Just hit it with some Meguirs polish and wax, it looks just to be dirty.

I would also recommend learning to string it, something the previous owner never did.

9. Great score! Keep it and play it! I know I would. A new back plate could be easily made if you can't find a replacement.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  10. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Amazing! Congratulations!

If the bass is in working order, that's plenty fine for gigging and looks stylish too!

11. PaulieRam

PaulieRam

Mar 6, 2016
    Not a dumpster a suburbia bulk garbage pick up when everybody throws away their "junk" on the street once a month. I get the feeling that people were moving and this may have been in the woman's son's closet. He is probably none too happy but...looks like it was dropped or banged pretty hard because one of the Tuning pegs is bent.

Attached Files:

Benny the Finger likes this.
  12. I could only dream about finding a MIJ bass in a "garbage pickup". That's a good find alright!

The best thing I've found near a dumpster was the cabinet that I put my Markbass 2x10 on top of.

13. PaulieRam

PaulieRam

Mar 6, 2016
    Im in the printing business and have a flatbed router cutter so I can definitely cut one if need be

OEW3 and GKon like this.
  14. PaulieRam

PaulieRam

Mar 6, 2016
    So based on the responses it sounds like I have a completely viable bass that I can play with no problem and stay part of my collection. The color is just absolutely beautiful.

15. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Ibanez basses from that time period are very cool.
    Finding one in a trash heap in working order is even cooler!

LowNloud1 and GKon like this.
  16. Have you plugged it in yet?

GKon likes this.
  17. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    That was my very next question.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I bought an Ampeg svt III rack mount for a C-note off a friend of a friend that found it in a pile of garbage outside a studio that recently closed down.

Op's find blows that out of the water though, it's a cream dream.

karl_em_all and vmabus like this.
  19. PaulieRam

PaulieRam

Mar 6, 2016
    Yes. It plays and well...No issues. I don't know exactly what the two knobs that have switches control. I assume they are different pickup settings but not there yet.