1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garbo vs Anima tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by samriley, Oct 24, 2013.

1. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    Which of the above sets of E&A strings have less tension? I'm looking for a looser feeling E&A to match plain gut D&G.
    Thanks

2. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    They are both 25kg per string (equally from E to G). The only way of getting lower tension is to get hold of Garbo Lights which come in at 23kg/string. These are rarely seen and may require a direct order from Nuno at Velvet

3. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    Hmm interesting. Thanks Clarky

4. I cannot speak for the Garbo, but I have measured the tension of the Velvet Compas 180 (except the G, that I don't have, but with the high C) and the tension is higher, specially towards the lower strings than the advertised tension. I won't trust the manufacturers specifications (of any manufacturer, not only Velvet) too much.
    BTW, the Velvet Classico meets the tension specifications of the Compas 180 rather well.

I need to improve my measurement tool to get more reliable values, so I haven't posted anything about it yet and dislike to post any concrete values before. I will do when I have time to make the changes and measured strings again.

5. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks mate. And yeh I don't really know what 25kg per string would feel like anyway, so if it wasn't correct how would I know?
    I was just hoping that one or the other of those velvets might be a bit looser feeling

6. I always wondered why I liked the Compas 180 E better with the Classico set, now I know, it has more tension and therefor more power.
    And the Compas 180 does not have equal tension on every string as advertised but the tension gets higher towards the lower strings (what I like for jazz and orchestra).

Of course you cannot feel absolute values in your hands, but if you try to mix and match by manufacturers values (if you can get them at all) it could become strange.
    I just wanted to make clear that this equal tension thing Velvet claims for their strings is not true in all cases.

7. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    Yeh I played a set of garbos years ago on a bass I don't have anymore and i remember the tension was not equal between strings.
    And I know that strings can behave differently on different basses too

8. I've got a Garbo E on my bass now with plain Dlugolecki D,G and wrapped A. The tension is a pretty good match, and maybe a bit less on the Garbo.

9. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    Cool thanks this is the kind of reply I was waiting for. Also what do you think of the DD wrapped A? I tried a friends one on my bass a while ago and didn't like it so much and the winding came loose pretty quickly. Have you tried Kuershner wrapped A&E? Best string I've played very similar to the sound of new Artones. But again the silver wrap can be an issue.
    I'm going to try a friends used Anima E&A just to see. I think I've got some old garbos somewhere too but I remember the winding sort of splitting on those