Garcia/Grisman "So What"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Apr 29, 2003.

1. I just got a copy of this CD. I had no idea that Jerry Garcia played jazz. If you're a jazz fan or like jazzy jamband music, you really need to check this out.

I also heard a recording with Jerry Garcia where he plays with what sounds like some hardcore 70's funk band, fully equipped with a horn section. I didn't realize how much the guy got around!
  2. FWIW, Garcia played on Ornette Coleman's 1988 disc, Virgin Beauty. Coleman and Cecil Taylor are supposedly big Deadheads.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Virgin Beauty even has a Country song on it called "Happy Hour".

Anyway, back in the '60s/'70s, there was a certain amount of cross-breeding amongst Rock & Jazz musicians.
    Imagine Miles Davis playing The Fillmore & OPENING for acts such as Laura Nyro, Steve Miller, & Neil Young.
    From what I've read, it seems the hippies in the audience dug the diversity.
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    In 1977-78 I saw Weather Report open for Johnny Winter.
  5. Miles Davis played at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival with his Bitches brew band, alongside the Who and Hendrix! :D
  6. Didn't Mingus play bass on an acoustic version of So What with Garcia and Grisman?
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I have that DVD...the Miles footage is way, way, way too short!
    I'd bet everyone there(musicians, audience, cows, birds, etc) was wondering, "What the f*** is this?!" hearing that material from Bitches Brew.
  8. Is that Mingus? I meant to look it up. I've been listening to this album for the last 2 days. It is amazing. The bass player is certainly amazing. The tone, the rhythm, the feel, the soloing. It's all top-notch. Whoever's playing really knows how to work it. OMG, if it is Mingus, that would make it even cooler than it already is!
  9. "So What" was recorded at Dawg Studios between 1990 and 1992, and also features bassist Jim Kerwin, percussionist Joe Craven and flutist Matt Eakle, all current members of the David Grisman Quintet."

I just found this on some website. It's definitely not Mingus. I didn't realize that the record was so recent (well 11 years ago). I had assumed that it was something from the 60's or 70's.

Still, I need to say again that it's incredible. There's a real trippy kind of hippy vibe to it.
  10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I like all of the Garcia/Grisman collaboration albums except the "Kid's" one. They also cover "Milestones" on the "So What" album. But I REALLY dig their version of "The Thrill Is Gone".
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I picked up the Garcia/Grisman/Rice album "The Pizza Tapes" used on a whim one day (I'm a big bluegrass fan and not a big Dead fan). It's not bad except that Garcia's voice sounds TERRIBLE on a few songs. Some of the songs are really nice though and they do a six and a half minute version of So What on this album too. Not bad really! First time I've ever heard that song played by two acoustics and a mandolin.

Really the song where Garcia's voice sounds the worst is the very first track, Man of Constant Sorrow. It's so bad that the first time I heard it I stopped the CD out of shock (and respect for Ralph and Carter Stanley) and didn't listen to it again for several weeks. My friend finally persuaded me to put it back in and I listened to the whole thing...which gets much better after track 1. I'd say So What is one of the high points on the disc.

brad cook
  12. Agreed the Miles footage is waaay to short, but my Dad went to that festival and Miles was the person he was most impressed by apparently ;)