Gard strikes again! agghhhhhh. This weekend was expensive...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    So, this weekend led to two purchases. First one was a MIM Jazz bass in Lake Placid Blue with Duncans :D. That one actually wasn't thanks to Gard, but I'll still blame him none the less :spit: :spit:
    Secondly, as many of you know, I got the chance to go to Bass Central to watch Dave LaRue play, and a mini-GTG afterward. Gard had a Peavey T-max head that he's not been using, so we talked about me buying it awhile ago. Last week was a decent week at work, and I was able to buy it, AND save on shipping by picking it up. Well, I auditioned it at my band's rehersal last night, and through out the day today, so I think I can give a review on it now.
    First thing I see when Gard pulls it out is a scratchy TKL 4 space. I open it up, and am pleasantly met with a white face T-max head. A few EQ sliders missing, but that's ok, who uses EQ -- I don't! After awhile we plug it into his Eden 410. I had my Spector with me (of course), so I plugged it in. I set the EQ flat on the bass (I generally boost the mids fully and lows just slightly) and struck an open E. Woah! It sounded great, and it was on like 0.1. I fiddled around for 15 mins or so, put it away, and drank the night away with the dudes...
    Yesterday I had full band practice. Two half stacks (Randall 120W and Line 6 100W) with generally conservative guitarists. I setup, plug it, and turn it on... the lights flickered :eyebrow:. I blame it on crappy wiring, but 'twas cool none the less. The first few songs, I have the volume on 0.5, the pre gain at 10 :)D! tube-y preamp goodness) and the post gain at about 5. The Ernie Ball volume I use was as low as it could go, and the guys were still telling me to turn down. I told them this time they'll have to turn up :hyper:. So we start playing at, er, above stadium levels (thank god I took my earplugs :bag:), but I *never* had to go above 3 on the master. Oh, and I was running through an 8ohm 1x15 Ashdown. Talk about loud? Dang! I switched between the tube and SS pres (foot has: channel select, EQ on/off and FX lopp on/off) and found I like the tube pre a ton. I can't directly compare to a full tube amp, but it sure as heck screams...and has killer overdrive. I now don't regret selling the O.D. pedals I had. I made that my distotion channel and combined it with the SS channel (yay for combineable channels) for a *very* cool sound. Only complaints I have is that you can't combine the channels from the footswitch, and that the fan is *sort of* noisy, but you can hardly tell playing even at a low low volume.
    Over all, I don't think I can say enough good things about this amp. I'd say it was definitly an over looked amp, mostly due to the fact that it was Peavey (I personally think if it said Ampeg, Eden or something else, it would've sold like crazy). I can't wait to take it outdoors sometime and wind it out :cool:. Well, I guess that wraps that up. I can't wait to get the Jazz bass and give it a whirl through this amp. Time for a pair of pics, me thinks!
    Ok, second pic just got corrupted on my host, it may or may not be back...

2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Sounds like you've got a really sweet tone going on for ya there Ray.

I've heard that very head ran through two Peavey 2x10's at one of Gard's gigs. He had incredible tone that night. IIRC Ashdown's are better cabs than Peavey, so you must be getting near God like tones from her.

Oh one thing you will quickly learn is that you will leave your wallet at home any time you go to see Gard. ;)
  3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    You REALLY need to clean your room young man! Don't worry, the vacuum sounds worse than it really is. :D
    Seriously though, I've been using a Peavey Session Bass at rehearsals and it sounds great. Not alot of power, but the tone is really good.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It's actually not *that* bad, there's these feathers near the beds though from goose-feather pillows :meh:. You can vacuum the floor every day and wake up and they'll be there. Everything else on it is stains...damn dorms! But yeah, the tone is killer. I'm sure there's better out there, but I aint worried about it :smug:. At least until I get out of college :p.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Glad that that amp has found a good home!

It served me exceptionally well for many years (lots of long nights on Bourbon Street in New Orleans were powered by that amp! :hyper: ), and always stepped up to the plate and delivered, both with good tone, and great reliability.

Use it in good health, and try not to hurt anyone with it, ok?

6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    You know me! :eyebrow:. I can't wait to get it home and blow it through 4x15s and a 4x12!

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes, that pointy logo can be dangerous! :eek:

I've been gigging with a Peavey T-Max for years. It's as solid as a rock, and sounds great! :bassist:
  8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Gard is the MAN!!!!!
  9. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Kinda need it ;) Embry-Riddle AERONAUTICAL University :smug: :p.
    The whole room kicks ass...I've a 360degree shot of it somewhere on my PC.

10. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Are you serious???? :eek:
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Acoustic 406 (2x15)
    Sunn 215B (2x15)
    Peavey 4x12
    All sitting at home. About as moveable as a car in park, but hey, sounds great.